Calendar of events

Posted: 2/22/2005 5:38:00 PM
TomFarrell

I think Theremin World needs a calendar of events, instead of a forum category, for concerts and events. Making it have selectable area would be even better. That way, we could come to Theremin World and find a calendar on the home page showing us what's coming up in our area in the world of Theremins.

You could store our location info in a cookie so it could be persistent when we return to the site.

I've been thinking about implementing something like this on my sewing site. If you want to have the feature but don't want to code it, I'm willing to give you my code free when it's done, but it'll be in JSP and it won't be tied into your login system.
Posted: 2/23/2005 4:24:06 PM
Jason

This sounds very interesting. We have user records on the backend, so we wouldn't need to use cookies (in case browsers didn't support them or readers had them disabled).

What are you planning to use to track location? It'd need to allow users from all over the world to specify their city, and then we'd have to calculate distances from their locations... Definitely worth looking into.
Posted: 2/24/2005 1:36:01 AM
TomFarrell

Basically, the number of events we're likely to be talking about is relatively low. If you indexed each event to the nation in which it occurs, and events in the US to their state, that should be plenty of informaton for the user to be able to select a small enough range that they won't be bothered by excessive data.
Posted: 2/24/2005 5:02:01 PM
ThereMan

please look into this..seems everytime i hear about anything theremin exhibit or concert it is after the fact, id love to know when and where these are being hosted before they happen

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.