Blog: Where are all the theremin accessories?

Posted: 3/1/2005 3:42:10 AM
TomFarrell

It's a niche market. We could come up with stuff, but the price will be high.

A recent discussion on levnet left me with a product concept, but it's purely decorative, and I think to make it worthwhile I'd have to charge about $100 each. Who'd want to pay $100 for a decoration for a $400 instrument?

Let's look at the iPod example and make a comparison. I was at the Apple store this weekend. More than half of the accessories for iPods are carry cases. How much variety of carry case do we need for a Theremin? Okay, it could come in colors, but mostly it just has to be functional. Unlike the iPod, my Etherwave doesn't really need a waterproof cover. I don't plan to play Theremin in a pool, and I doubt anyone else does either.

Of the rest of the accessories for iPods, most of them added some kind of functionality, ranging from FM transmitters and remote controls and docks and speakers, to pointless things like a laser pointer. (Why I'd ever want to point at stuff with my iPod is beyond me...) Some of those things we could do on the Theremin... I'm sure somebody makes a wireless transmitter for use with electric guitars that we could hook up to the theremin... in fact, wasn't somebody talking about just that in the forums? Docks... I guess the closest equivalent would be a stand, and there are various of those available. Speakers... there are plenty of different amps and speakers, if we choose to view an amp as an accessory.

How else would we add functionality to a theremin? Well, we could add sound effect devices, like reverb, with control pedals like Peter Pringle shows on his DVD. If we look down that route, there are hundreds and hundreds of potential effect "accessories" for the Theremin, they're just not labeled as such.

We could add MIDI, but if the instrument doesn't have CV (as the Etherwave doesn't by default) it'd have to be modified to have it, and that's not something every ordinary person is comfortable doing even though the Etherwave makes it pretty easy.

"Perhaps a fine knitted Etherwave sweater?"

I could make one, but what would you want it for?

"Antenna polish?"

Chrome is a pain in the butt. It doesn't so much get dull as eventually come off.

"Clip-on music stand?"

Is that a good idea? I mean, why make it nonstandard?

"Play-from-batteries kit?"

Aren't there existing devices for use with any small electronic device that needs to be used away from an outlet?
Posted: 3/1/2005 8:23:55 AM
DiggyDog

I could use a nice hard case for my Etherwave.

I am looking at the Moog gig bag and I hear that Rockbag makes one that will fit it at half the price.

What about a cool Goldberg lightning bolt antenna?

I would buy one of those if the price was right.

Something I am going to probably have to make is some kind of stand that will hold a rackmount effects processor and the Etherwave on top of that.

Posted: 3/1/2005 8:25:22 AM
Jason

Obviously, those suggestions were in jest, but I still believe my main point is valid - there is a (though somewhat small) market for theremin accessories.

The play-by-battery kit idea wouldn't be tough. Moog publishes a circuit mod in their "hotrodding" manual for the Etherwave that shows how to do this. All someone needs to do it put together pieces and instructions into a kit, and voila!

I would personally love to have a music stand for my Etherwave that I could somehow clip on top of the box.

How about a diamond baffle speaker kit? I believe only Floyd Engels is producing diamond speakers today. It's something every theremin player might benefit from (as well as adding even more mystique to the visual impact of playing a theremin).
Posted: 3/1/2005 9:31:19 AM
DiggyDog

I have a decapitated Barbie doll head on my pitch antenna.

Do you think that would sell?
Posted: 3/1/2005 9:39:42 AM
DiggyDog

I was going to mention the diamond speaker. I would love to have one of those!
Posted: 3/1/2005 12:12:59 PM
Jason

I'd love to replace the 4-legged stand for my Ethervox with a cabinet that has an amp & monitor speaker built-in. I think there might also be enough room to mount some effects units - say a half-rack width size.

I'm seeing some creative ideas above... now who's going to act on them? :)
Posted: 3/1/2005 6:14:41 PM
ThereMan

how about some antenna jewelery or colored knobs?
Posted: 3/1/2005 6:15:32 PM
ThereMan

how about some antenna jewelery or colored knobs?
Posted: 3/1/2005 10:17:59 PM
Jason

I'm picturing a red/white/black theremin along the lines of Eddie Van Halen's guitar from 1984 :)
Posted: 3/2/2005 1:32:28 AM
TomFarrell

Moog gig bag for standard ethewave: I have it, I think it was well worth the $50 I paid for it. It's nicely constructed, well padded, and even as an experienced tailor it would take me a pile of time to make one like it.

Lightning bolt antenna: Damn they're pretty, but Peter Pringle says he takes them off the Goldberg and replaces them with normal antennas when he's actually going to PLAY it, because the lightning bolt antennas distort the shape of the control fields and make it hard to play.

Music stand on top of etherwave: It'd interfere with the control field, you can't do it.

Diamond speakers: I know a couple people who might be able to do those. What would they be worth to you? Should it include the amp, or be just a speaker? Should it include the stand, or use something standard?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.