Doug Forbes Theremin tips

Posted: 3/30/2005 9:07:35 AM
capzloc

Hey all-
I have been looking into building a tube theremin and the Doug Forbes model looks like the simplest. I have never done a tube project before and I was wondering if anyone out there has successfully completed this or any other tube theremin in case I run into problems.
Also, I figured out that the coil Doug was referring to was the P-C70-OSC. Does anybody have specs on this coil? I prefer to buy parts from local stores than online and I want to know what I am looking for.
Thanks!
Matt
Posted: 5/2/2005 12:10:56 PM
Etherdave

I have tried to build the Forbes but so far all I can make work is the filament circuit. My transformer, Hammond #269JX, produces more volts than it's rated for, and this has screwed up the whole B+ circuit (I've blown more diodes than you can count). The oscillator circuits won't generate tones, otherwise it should work. My local expert informs me the OSC-70s are good and the appropriate choice for this application. I'm going to clear out all the components and start over with the reference oscillators. If I can get these to work the rest will follow.
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:42:14 AM
valveodour

Hello!
I get that coil 70-OSC from Antique el. suply.Now, from the coil schematic:
coil schematic (http://www.pasmaters.com/slike/70osc.jpg)
you can see there is a one turns on coil-primary and two on secondary.Wich turns I have to use in this theremine project?Secondary I guess.In that case,is the primary turns stand open(not conected)?
Thanks
Posted: 3/15/2006 12:26:29 AM
Etherdave

The second, center diagram in the instruction sheet that comes with the coils shows the proper wiring. Secondary windings only are used.
Posted: 3/15/2006 10:25:20 AM
valveodour

Thank you
Posted: 4/11/2006 10:55:39 PM
Etherdave

Oh, by the way, those oscillator coils are available through Antique Electronics Supply out of Tempe, Arizona. The code we keep quoting is the order number.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.