The Theremin "High"

Posted: 4/23/2005 2:25:58 PM
Jeff S

I am now convinced that the theremin can be added to the list of things that can give you a "high".
I first got a sense of it while watching Peter finish playing "Vissi D'Arte" on his DVD. He lowered his pitch hand and looked up with an expression of peacefulness as he breathed a deep sigh.
I've just finished playing for a good hour and I can say I am definitely feeling an very strong feeling of calm and contentment. Apparently, like other things, this is due to the release of endorphins which gives one a feeling of well being and desensitivity to pain. I gave a myself a few good pinches to verify that. I imagine it would also contribute an addictive quality for those who make the effort to play their theremin regularly. And, apparently, it's also good for your overall health and well-being, so playing the theremin is GOOD for you!
Posted: 4/23/2005 3:32:10 PM
Charlie D

In general, that isn't too incredible to believe, considering anything that you personally enjoy will make you feel happier- because you enjoy it. Different people will get 'high' on different things. I'm not sure that a theremin would provide everyone with the same buzz that their personal hobby gives them.

Dancing, singing and music can all make you happier, but they can also make you feel sadder. The theremin is also is a source of frustration for many of those who attempt it, the 'most unforgiving of all instruments'.

Kinda cool to know though, and I suppose that now you'll feel even happier afterwards, safe in the knowlegde that you are improving your health as well as your musical skills!
Posted: 4/23/2005 5:07:42 PM
Jeff S

Charlie D - I don't mean to be condescending, but I don't think you fully understand what I'm talking about. (If I recall, you are 14 years old, right?)
Sure, all kinds of things can make one happy or sad or just about anything in between. These are all emotional responses.
What I am talking about are physical responses to chemical and hormonal changes in the body as a result of certain activities, that for all intents and purposes are like being "high" on a drug.
I hope at your age you have no experience with such things, if ever. But, at least you are aware it is possible for some people to experience this without putting your life in serious danger by taking drugs. It is well documented one can also experience this to some degree by activities like meditation, deep breathing, ribald laughter, eating spicy food, or receiving acupuncture treatments or chiropractic adjustments.
For me, that fact that I can get a "high" from playing the theremin is an unexpected bonus. It gives me even more incentive to keep practicing. ;-)
Posted: 4/24/2005 5:00:49 AM
Charlie D

Sure- I understand what you mean, but now's my time to be condescending. You must also remember that any emotion that you experience is merely as a result of the production of endorphins, adrenalin and many other chemicals which I am unaware of. A 'high' would merely be an extreme production of these, and if you look at an Athelete after winning a race you can see the emotion overpowering them, causing them to even cry with happiness, perhaps confusion.

But I know that you understand that, and I think I pretty much understand what you were getting at now, it just seemed a bit odd. Happy, refreshed and fulfilled yes, but 'high'? Here's an interesting website that I found:
http://www.youngagainforever.com/happiness.htm
Posted: 5/4/2005 1:34:17 PM
dulcimoo

Yes! PLaying moosic can be good or bad. How ever there are some things to cowsider:

While learning to play can be frustrating - once you do - it is rewarding.

Coordinating both parts of the brain via music is good for you (see links) - however theremin is not complex in the same way as piano.

Because of the CONTROL issues involved I see theremin playing more like yoga or biofeedback.

So yes I expect that theremin is good for you and may be good for others. The path taken and having proper expectations would need to be correct however or harm could follow.

My GF is afrad of them - Radio or any Electromagnetic RADITION she does not like. It took me years to get her into digital music because of the IR from the LASER.

Hopeing to get my ethermax put together this week!
(yah yah sure)

http://apu.sfn.org/content/Publications/BrainBriefings/music_training_and_brain.htm

http://www.pianoworld.com/pianists_brains.htm
Posted: 5/5/2005 2:58:19 PM
Charlie D

Yay. I'm a pianist- according to that website I therefore automatically have a more efficient brain. Great. I have just recently got to the stage where I am learning to play actually proper music now, like Bach's Organ Tocatta and Fugue. It is such fun!

http://www.johann-sebastian-bach.org/bwv565/toccata+fugue-bwv565.mp3
Posted: 5/8/2005 10:59:45 AM
Thereminless

Getting lost in one's own music is a high, no matter what instrument is being played.

There are also many internal "wow, I did it" epiphanies whenever one is learing something new.

Thereminless

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.