Seattle Theremin demo

Posted: 4/27/2005 12:17:03 PM
sidecars

You are invited to a Seattle theremin experience. On May 8th, from 8p to 10p, I will be at the Seattle Museum of the Mysteries
623 Broadway Ave. E.
Seattle, WA 98102
206-328-6499.

Here is what they wrote about me/the event:

Bryan Lowe

Announcer at KING FM since 1979, and general experimenter in music. He enjoys learning to play odd instruments, including theremin, Ondes Martenot, musical saw, surbahar, dulcimer, bagpipe, and more.

Bryan has played the theremin with the Federal Way Symphony in a performance of the Spellbound Concerto by Miklos Rozsa.

Join us in a theremin experience, where Bryan demonstrates the theremin, and teaches participants how to play the theremin parts from the film The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Join us and play along with the video.

Free with $3 admission.

I must say, I am pretty rusty, but I have been practicing a lot lately. As you know, there is a steep learnig curve on this thing. Right now I am working on Lush Life for a gig in June. I have a long way to go, but while last week it seemed impossible, this week I can see a very faint light at the end of the tunnel.

My Etherwave pro has developed a serious volume control problem. It sounds like a lose connection or a transistor kicking in and out. The volume will take great leaps on and off. I will call the factory soon. I will bring it, and try to use it, but also will have my standard etherwave. I may also bring my French Connection, which is a fake Ondes Martenot. Probably will.

If you are a thereminist, or just interested, pop in for a visit. If you are pretty good, show us how it's done! If you are like me, join us for some fun. I don't have the score to the soundtrack, so mostly we will just explore and experiment. The part to the movie just isn't that hard, so it should be ok.

Bryan
Seattle
Posted: 4/27/2005 12:43:01 PM
sidecars

By the way, have you heard Pamelia play Lush Life? Incredible. She really has a gift, not just for the theremin, but also a musical gift. A sense of style and phrasing that is on par with the best.

Here is a link to an online broadcast that includes her performance.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/spinning/episodes/01312003

Go to the 14 minute point in the broadcast.

By the way. I would love to get the music to her performance on the DVD from Moog. I know it is improv jazz to some extent, but if there were a chart she was working from I would sure like to get it. I also love that piece.

Bryan
Posted: 5/8/2005 2:20:49 AM
sidecars

If you are in the Seattle area be sure to pop by!
Posted: 5/8/2005 6:30:06 AM
Charlie D

Pamelia has an almost uncanny ability to hit a note exactly on key from absolute silence. She is certainly amazingly precise, but I sometimes find that her playing style can sound a bit harsh, not as legato and flowing as those of Leon's students.

If you want an acceptable midi version of 'Lush Life' to practice with, I found one for you here:
http://lushlife.notlong.com
Posted: 5/8/2005 1:44:17 PM
sidecars

Thanks for the Lush Life link. I forget if I mentioned, but I found a CD with a jazz combo back up track that I have been playing along with. The piece is well beyond my abilities, but I am certainly trying to get there. I think I will make it. My daughter is also a jazz bass player, and even though she is only 13, she is doing pretty well. I am going to try to have her and a keyboard playing friend join me. This gig at the Paranormal conference sounds like it won't be happening, but I want to work this piece up anyway.

Anyone else have any thoughts on Pamelia's playing? I am quite a fan.

I was also watching an old video I got from someone that was an interview done by Nadia Reisenberg's son of his mother and aunt, Clara Rockmore. There were some performances in the Interview as well. She, too, was amazing.

Actually, after watching the video, and that old video of Theremin's niece, Lydia?, I have changed my hand position to one more similar to theirs. I'll see how that works. I have been pivoting my arm like a garden gate from my chest to the antenna. At one time I thought it worked better for me.
Posted: 5/8/2005 1:46:15 PM
sidecars

One more thought. Earlier I mentioned my theremin volume problem. I shut everything down, did a little tightening on my amp, and reconnected everything, and the problem seems to be gone.
Posted: 5/8/2005 5:20:38 PM
ThereMan

so was the problem with your amp or the theremin?
Posted: 5/9/2005 1:42:38 AM
sidecars

About 20 people showed up at the Seattle Museum of the Mysteries. I had a nice time. If anyone from the list came, they didn't say so. There were a couple of people who have tried theremins, one who had one. Most seemed pretty interested. I mostly did a mix of playing, and videos and some talk about the instrument and its history. Then people go to try it. I also brought my musical saw and my French Connection keyboard, both of which can make a similar sound/music. I guess I will have some involvement in the Paranormal conference in Seattle in June, perhaps some playing between speakers, and perhaps some lessons in a conference room. Whatever happens could be fun.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.