Introducing them to the theremin......

Posted: 4/28/2005 2:02:40 PM
DiggyDog

A funny thing happened a few weeks ago with a band I play with

I have been playing drums and percussion with them for about 10 years now but now I have switched to bass. We never had a bass player before but a guy showed up with a bass and played it on some tunes. Then he and I switched for a few songs and now, to make a long story short, I am playing bass and he is drumming. (Except tomorrow. He can't make it so it's back to drums for me for one more night.)

Anyway, now that I am already bringing an amp and all, it would not be a big leap to just happen to bring along my Etherwave and hook it up.

Here is the question.

Should I just do it and surprise them or should I maybe mention it a few times and see how receptive they are? Brinign it to rehearsal is not an option since we have had exactly two rehearsals the whole time we have been playing together. I don't think it can wait five years.

The band is more like a solo project with a definite front man and we are all just backing him up.

The music is mostly hits from the 80's and a few originals.

I would love to see their faces when I just start wailing on the theremin!

Anyway
Posted: 4/28/2005 5:17:54 PM
ThereMan

that would be a good surprise
Posted: 4/28/2005 5:43:54 PM
DiggyDog

I just thought of another way to surprise them.

We are going to be recording another CD soon and I may be doing some of the tracks at my house.

Maybe I will just slip in an extra part in there with some theremin on it and see what happens...

Posted: 4/30/2005 5:24:51 AM
Oscar

Believe me: for a soloist,having a theremin from the rythmn section guys will put him/her out of the light and could make him/her very upset... gone there, done that (as a bass player mainly I am) ;)

Frontmen and ego... never go sepparate ;)
Posted: 4/30/2005 6:02:23 PM
Barl

Just bring it. Who can doubt how awesome the theremin is? Also, worse comes to worse you can just put it away. Jamming on the theremin with a band is so fun, oh man...
Posted: 5/1/2005 4:21:54 PM
DiggyDog

I have been trying to get these guys to come out and see my other band where I play bass and theremin.

I think I will just show up with it one night...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.