Old Temecula

Posted: 5/12/2005 6:11:37 AM
sutcliffe

Hello.

I had never heard of Chris until I read this thread. I've been reading his site for the past two hours, and must confess that it does seem obscure and evasive.

Obviously, I've never heard any of his designs (has anyone here?), but call me skeptical, particularly when he makes the claim that the Moog standard Etherwave is more or less unplayable due to its nonlinear pitch antenna. He goes on to say that the Etherwave sounds lousy, and that the only good transitor theremin is (drumroll please ... ) his own design. (Bet you didn't see that one coming, eh?)

I suppose it could be in the realm of possiblilty that he makes a decent theremin, but there's simply no way in hell that the Etherwave is the piece of junk he claims it is.

The fixation on linearity seems a mite neurotic to me, and possibly a sign of his own musical shortcomings. I've played several homemade theremins. Some are OK, most are (let's be charitable, shall we?) in need of improvement. The standard Moog Etherwave (which I do own and play) is, unsurprisingly, miles ahead -- tonally, responsively -- of what most people are slapping together in their garages.

Now, if Chris can build a better thermein than Moog, then more power to him, but I'll believe it when I hear it.

Posted: 5/24/2005 8:11:16 AM
Thereminless

I see that Christopher has added a link to his page:

www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ult_antenna/index.htm

It appears that his antenna is more-or-less a coil and an antenna at the same time?

Any comments from people up on their radio theory?

Thereminless

Posted: 5/29/2005 6:32:13 PM
sutcliffe

I also see that Christopher has blocked my IP from looking at his site. How petty can one get?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.