Theremin Contest

Posted: 6/20/2005 4:40:35 PM
groveswiller

hey ya'll there is going to be a for fun theremin contest in Chapel Hill N.C. Sunday June 26th.
everyone is invited to compete.no entry fee or pre registration required. there is a twenty five dollar grand prize.and a panel of three celebrity judges.all non contact instruments allowed.each contestant may compete in one or both of two categories
1. straight no chaser
2. theremin plus
each contestant will have 10 minutes for each piece.
after the contest a special 'forest of theremins"free for all.no entry fee no cover.master of ceremonies Hoppie Newton. contestants should try to arrive by 9pm.any questions feel free to call 919.545.0176 or email me at groveswiller@aol.com

SUNDAY June 26th 2005 10pm sharp

The Cave 4521/2 West Franklin Street
Chapel Hill NC 27516 919.968.9308
caverntavern.com has directions
Posted: 6/27/2005 8:43:08 AM
Jason

A big thanks to Groves for pulling this event together. Billy Sugarfix took the top prize ($25), followed by Steve Cochin in 2nd for $10 (I'm sure I butchered your last name!), and I managed to squeeze $5 out of my attempts for 3rd place.

The Cave is not a large room, but we were still very pleased that it was PACKED on a Sunday night. Moog was well represented with sevearl Etherwaves, an Etherwave Pro, and my Ethervox. We had players of all experience levels, and I think everyone can agree that everyone in the room had a great time.

Several people told me they saw a band (Les Primitifs du Futur) playing a theremin at the NC Museum of Art the previous night and then found out about the contest. I missed Les Primitifs, unfortunately, but a big thanks to them for helping spread the theremin word!

cheers,
-Jason
Posted: 6/28/2005 1:30:24 AM
steveburnett

I believe the name of the gentleman who took second place Sunday night was Steve Backus. His recording project is called Camarilla, according to the CD he handed me. I had a lot of fun playing Sunday night.
Posted: 6/28/2005 1:21:44 PM
Jason

Ah, thanks. Sorry about that Steve (Backus!)

I haven't heard yet from the guy who recorded the show, but as soon as I get the recording, I'll post it to ThereminWorld in the audio section for all to enjoy.
Posted: 6/28/2005 1:31:18 PM
Charlie D

I'm looking forward to that recording, it'll be nice to hear some normal etherwave recordings, not just post-processed, multiple recorded ones.

Just to deviate slightly- I found out that a close family friend of ours (who I've known for some time) organised Lydia Kavina's VISA when she last came to England for the Oxford Chamber Music Festival. Talk about connections.

She says that she'll take me to the next concert that features a thereminist in Britain- I'm really looking forward to it. There really doesn't seem to be anything going on in Britain at all. Sigh.

Posted: 7/1/2005 12:53:00 PM
steve/camarilla

hi! it's steve backus. i just wanted to say thanks to everyone, the show was a wonderful time and everyone was amazingly talented. it was a big surprise to see that many people show up for a theremin contest!
and at the end where jason, steve, billy, and i played together was really fun. i can't wait to hear the recording!

see you at ethermusic!
Posted: 7/2/2005 2:57:59 PM
Jason

Congrats again on the 2nd place finish Steve!

Mz.Smlph has a great account of the night in her blog, including pics of Billy in a few of his costumes :)

http://www.mzsmlph.com

Posted: 7/2/2005 5:44:22 PM
steve/camarilla

thanks!
yea, those pictures and review are great. im not too keen being 'animal-cruelty guy' but i guess i asked for it haha.
Posted: 7/2/2005 11:42:49 PM
Mz.Smlph

Sorry, Steve. I probably could have found out your name, obviously from this site, but "Animal Cruelty Guy" isn't that bad now, is it? Congrats, again! My mom and I were impressed with your skill and passion.
Posted: 7/3/2005 10:27:36 AM
steve/camarilla

oh it's no problem at all! it was just a little funny to me.
thanks for the good words and pictures and everything, i'm glad we have another theremin fan!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.