Air Travel + Theremin = ?

Posted: 8/1/2005 12:47:06 PM
Hammy

I'm flying out of Newark to go to the big Ethermusic event.
I have an regular Etherwave.
I'm going to carry it on the plane.
What is going to happen when I put it through security?
The case clearly says, "Moog," and the theremin says, "etherwave," but don't the contents seem maybe a little suspicious?
It's hard for me to imagine them being all, "Oh, cool! A theremin!"
Any suggestions?
Posted: 8/1/2005 1:00:33 PM
Charlie D

Take a manual and/or literature detailing the workings of the machine and tape it to the bag in which you are storing the instrument. That way there shouldn't be any confusion as to what the instrument does.

Heheh. What can I say? "It's a crazy instrument!"
Posted: 8/1/2005 2:44:14 PM
vonbuck

The only time I flew with one the x-ray, and bomb sniffers was all that happened, that and the strip search (only kidding) but i didn't have aproblem. But Charlies right you should probabily take along the manuel. Someone on Levnet said they had a small practise amp and played a little.
Someone else had an amusingh story that the security person turned out to be Bob Moog's daughter.
Just leave yourself plenty of time and you shouldn't have any problem
Posted: 8/1/2005 3:48:51 PM
Jason

I flew to Portland, Maine with mine in 1997 in a duffel bag. Of course, that was pre-crazy times. They should be able to tell by x-raying and sniffing it that it's not a threat, but definitely be prepared to answer questions. Hopefully they won't have an issue with the pitch antenna being a potential weapon. Also be prepared to have to check it.

Sounds like maybe there's a market for hardshell cases for Etherwaves too :)
Posted: 8/2/2005 7:39:47 AM
regmtait

I took my Etherwave to Japan with me from the UK over Christmas. The security staff took it away to be x-rayed (along with my MicroKorg), but there was no problem.
I packed an Etherwave brochure to help if there were any questions, which I'd recommend (especially if there are any potential language issues).
Posted: 8/9/2005 6:58:43 PM
omhoge

So how did it go for you all? Did they take anyone's apart?
Posted: 8/11/2005 9:58:13 AM
DiggyDog

Just to put my two cents in....

I would love to find a hard shell case for my Etherwave.

Has anyone found a keyboard case or anything that would do the trick?
Posted: 8/11/2005 10:16:11 AM
regmtait

Perhaps you could get a flight case made. It would probably quite pricy but at least it would be a custom fit.

I use a sturdy tool bag, lined with thick adhesive-back foam.
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:59:48 AM
Hammy

I had no trouble at all travelling with my Etherwave.

When I got off of NJ transit to get on the Newark AirTrain, they looked at it but asked no questions.

On the way back to NY I decided to check it through, and put it in it's case inside a larger bag, insulated by clothes and things. I informed the lady at the desk that inside my luggage was a strange looking electronic musical instrument - so she slapped a "fragile" sticker on it.

It was almost dissapointing.
Posted: 8/12/2005 9:31:15 AM
Jason

Well, good to know you didn't have to deal with any kind of hassle, but wouldn't it have been fun to have to set it up and given an impromptu concert on the spot? ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.