How you can help the victims of Hurricane Katrina

Posted: 8/29/2005 11:42:03 PM
TomFarrell

Did you know that a straight man who has unprotected sex with a dozen prostitutes is okayed to give blood after two years, but a gay man who has been celibate since 1979 and tests negative for HIV is banned for life anyway? The Red Cross came up with the policy, and pushed for it to become a federal requirement.

Did you know that on 9/11, the Red Cross refused aid to surviving partners of gay victims, until public outcry shamed them into changing their policy?

Did you know that when you donate blood to the Red Cross, they [i]sell it[/i] to hospitals?

I think automatic calls to donate money to the Red Cross when there's a disaster are a bit premature. I hope everyone will take a little time to find a more impartial, less questionable charity. (Hint: Salvation Army also discriminates against gay people and people who don't agree with their religion...)
Posted: 8/30/2005 2:36:02 AM
Jason

I'm not going to comment on the policies of the Red Cross. My point was to call attention to [i]one[/i] way our readers might be able to help those devasted by the storm. If you've seen any of the news coverage today, aid in many forms is most definitely required. I will leave it up to individuals to decide if and how they might reach out to those in need.
Posted: 8/30/2005 2:24:29 PM
vonbuck

I've played New Orleans a lot, and have a bunch of musician friends who live and gig there. I'm going to do what I can to help by helping them directly. I've been in contact and they're all safe. Some don't know where they're going to live, or when they'll be able to work again, but they're safe.
Andy
Posted: 9/1/2005 3:37:50 PM
vonbuck

Fox news reported that New Orleans musical legend Antoine "Fats" Domino hasn't been heard from since Monday afternoon
He was going to ride ut the storm in his 9th ward house, which is now under water. Also missing is soul great Irma Thomas.
Another local legend, composer/pianist Allen Toussaint (Lady Marmalade, Southern Nights ) is among the 25,000 who took refuge in the Superdome, and is waiting for abus to Houston"s Astrodome.
Andy
Posted: 9/2/2005 11:57:21 AM
DiggyDog

I say we should donate to the Red Cross and the Salvation Army and debate the politics of it later.

If they are discriminating against gay people then that is wrong but they are the best equipped at this time to help the people of The Big Easy.

As far as other ways to help, there are lots of organizations that are collecting donations of money and supplies to send. I am sure anyone who wants to help will have no trouble finding an organization.

One thing to think about, though, is that money is usually the best donation. That way, supplies and transportation etc can be purchased closer to the area in need.

Example: I could buy 5 packs of diapers and a case of bottled water and take it to a local collection site where it will be packed up and trucked over to New Orleans.

Or I could donate the amount of money those items would cost and they could be purchased somewhere in Louisiana and shipped a shorter distance.

In the second scenario, the 5 packs of diapers might be 7 packs and the case of water might be two cases.

Why spend money on gas and truck maintenence when it could go right to the people in need?

Posted: 9/2/2005 12:12:29 PM
vonbuck

When you donate money, you can't be sure how much makes it. You could send neough for 5 packs of diaper's, but after "administration" costs, it could turn into only 3 packs. If you donate five packs, more than likly 5 packs will be distributed. However anywqay way that you can help is still help. I remeber there were some posts from someone from thereminworld who lives in New Orleans. I can't remeber his name. Oh yeah, they round Fats and Irma.
Andy

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.