Get your 'Pro while you can...

Posted: 9/11/2005 6:17:44 AM
Charlie D

Well- Turnkey have just put their E'Pros into clearance for. . . . *drum roll* . . .£420! That's 2/5 of their RRP. If only I could sell my Ewave and earn £250 before they are all sold. . . .
Posted: 9/11/2005 10:41:30 PM
user

I comfort myself with the idea that an EPro in an auction is likely to be an early model, with early model problems.
Posted: 9/11/2005 11:01:57 PM
nystrom

Gulp... um... what early model problems? Are you speaking in general terms -- like a new redesigned car, or the early Minimoog Voyagers -- or are there specific things to look out for in the Pro? Just asking because my new Pro hasn't even arrived yet, but now I'm all worried about whether it's an "early" one or not...

-Leigh

p.s. I'm kinda happy that someone out there got the ebay $700 bargain. Someone who can hopefully put that theremin to better use. But I would have been happier still if they had to pay a few hundred more, like the rest of us! :)
Posted: 9/12/2005 10:07:09 AM
user

I'm just going on some posts I've been reading on Levnet.

There's quite a bit of discussion going on about "ghost noises" and pitch antenna connection problems. Nothing real serious and the consensus seems to be that they were growing pain issues.
Posted: 9/12/2005 12:31:52 PM
Charlie D

The main problems seem to be:

1) That the volume response is too 'snappy,' and as a result crescendos are near impossible. Moog have started changing the response in favour of a more 'traditional' one, but only (as far as I know) when you specifically ask for it, or take it to them for repairs.

2) The existence of a mirror 'ghost' tone that plays over the top of whatever melody you might happen to be playing, which disappears and reappears like a ghost. As far as I know there is no definite 'cure' as the problem seems to vary from instrument to instrument.

3) General physical problems, such as the pitch antenna not fitting properly (causing intermittent screaming etc.) and other miscellaneous problems that don't seem to plague the less complicated Etherwave Standard.

All these problems would explain why Moog are heading towards direct sales (if they actually are). The demand for such instruments is very, very low, and casting a wide net to try to find their elusive thereminist customers is probably inefficient, and possibly contributed to the price of the instruments (thus reducing their direct sales cost? hopefully?)

Oh. And I just e-mailed Turnkey. It seems that they are clearing out their instruments not because they want to discontinue them, but rather because they over-ordered! Once they reduce the stock to 'an acceptable level' then the price will default, and the next batch they order will be of a smaller size, which will in turn go to clearance if it starts filling their stock shelves.
Posted: 9/12/2005 3:37:06 PM
Cortex 007

People should buy Moog products from Humbucker. i bought my lefty pro from them and a moogerfooger.
The prices across all products are great and the service is wonderful. Talk to Jake...he's a theremin enthusiast.
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:40:24 PM
Jason

I have a feeling our affiliate commissions this month are going to take a nose dive :) Oh well... as long as more people get theremins, I'm happy as a clam.
Posted: 9/12/2005 9:42:19 PM
Jeff S

At Ether Music 2005, Mike Adams told me that all new Etherwave Pros are produced with the modified volume response. I can't give you an exact serial number however.

While I do have one of the first E-Pros off the line, we must remember not to be too quick to blame the instrument for every problem. As I stated a few days ago, a problem I was having with a double tone turned out to be from the surge protector/power strip I was using.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.