Good Fake Books?

Posted: 10/1/2005 4:54:51 PM
drspecter

I've been looking for La Dolce Vita, the Spellbound Concerto sheet music and some early Ellington (Mood Indigo, etc) and found that most listings for sheet music books only have partial song lists. Are there any particularly good theremin fake books out there?
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:12:33 PM
vonbuck

there aren't any theremin fake books, your going to have to gather all the selections your looking for from different sources, and put together your collection.

Andy
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:09:42 PM
drspecter

LOL! I didn't think there was a fake book specifically for the theremin. We'll probably have to wait about 50 years for that. I was just wondering about theremin-friendly music.

I found my copy of the Spellbound song, but it's not the whole concerto. Seems like there used to be a lot more sheet music on line than there is now...
Posted: 10/3/2005 1:54:56 PM
Charlie D

If you're refering to the Spellbound Concerto played by Miss. Carolina Eyck, then you're going to struggle finding it. I believe it was specially written by her under the instruction of her father, Jan. The original film score is quite different- the theremin only 'imitates' instruments in disconnected shorts throughout the film.

The Schillinger Airphonic Suite is also something that I'm desperate to get a hold of. I've transcribed my own terrible versions of various parts of it (Wilco kindly sent me 'Melody,' Schillinger's piano adaption of the 'Song' from the Suite in MIDI format), but it's near impossibly to identify all the harmonies from the once low quality recording I have of it.

If you manage to get hold of any original works for theremin in the flesh, then I'd be very interested to hear from you. Thanks.

Charlie
Posted: 10/4/2005 1:06:22 AM
TomFarrell

Charlie, try calling your local college of music or conservatory and ask them if they have a music library that's open to the public. You may be able to go in and look at the score and take notes... if its copyright has expired in your country, you may be permitted to photocopy it.

I'd offer to go check the New England Conservatory's music library for you, but any music written for Theremin is still under copyright in the US, so there'd be no hope of me making a copy. :-/
Posted: 10/4/2005 2:02:34 PM
Charlie D

Unfortunately all the major works for theremin were never actually published, as there was never any demand for them. The Philadelphia Free Library, Lydia Kavina (and a select few of her students) are the only people on the planet whom I know own copies of the Schillinger, and the Spellbound Concerto master score is probably somewhere in Berlin.

I am gonna try as hard as I can to get hold of these works. I've e-mailed Wilco and Carolina about the scores, and they've both been most helpful in the past, so my hopes are pretty high.

At the moment I'm making do with adapted music and my own arrangements, and they're fine. When I come to make my A-Level recordings however then I *will* need the actual scores if I want to play the impressive exclusively-for-theremin pieces.

:)
Posted: 10/4/2005 3:36:26 PM
drspecter

I've found my copy of the Rozsa/Mack David "Spellbound" song. I can scan it in and send it to you, if it'll help. I know that song is available in a few movie theme fake books. It's a very short little ditty that doesn't include the theremin stingers from the movie, but it might help in transcription.
Posted: 10/16/2005 6:37:41 PM
drspecter

Man, ever since I got my E-Pro, I've been doing this plucking/sliding technique. It has a nice sound, and it was vaguely reminding me of something. Then I realized-- it's Hank Marvin of The Shadows Startacaster whammy bar technique.

Now I'm rabidly looking for collections of their sheet music-- I have The Ventures version of Apache, but really need stuff like Kon Tiki, Peace Pipe, Atlantis, etc...

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.