theremin on a camera tripod?

Posted: 10/12/2005 1:40:20 PM
IcallhimThero

Greetings from Holland. Has anyone like myself wanted to put a theremin on a camera tripod instead of buying a special stand? Well I've got a tripod which we used to call flimsy Japanese rubbish because we couldn't admit to saying 'masterpiece of lightweight design which will conquer the world', and it has the handy system that cameras use only it's a 1/4'' W thread. I'd already had the buzz of legitimately going to the music shop for the first time (for a lead) so I thought I would make an adaptor instead of trying to find one. And I don't want mess up my theremin epecially as some guy with a cool name has signed it.I set about measuring the inside thread and kept getting the unbelievale value of 27 threads per inch. I can cut 26, 28 and metric threads on my lathe but who would want to use 27! After searching the net I discovered that you musicians (I don't think I can call myself a musician yet) do in fact use 5/8''x27 on microphones and this thread was devised by some crazy guy Nat Special. Why? Is this something to do with the guy that dropped dead after touching his mike. What was his name? Anyway, It took me two days to figure out that the pitch of 27/inch is very close to half the pitch of a metric thread so I just had to half the lead screw speed by a non standard switcheroo in the gear train.
I can see you all yawning and you're probably going to tell me that these adaptors are easily available and I should have spent my time practicing.
ttfn.
Posted: 10/12/2005 6:53:39 PM
DiggyDog

Well, you said it better than I could have.

To answer (or rather, address) one of your questions, though, I do not know why they use that particular threading but it has nothing to do with anyone dying or being shocked.

I would bet that it has more to do with someone realizing that they can sell a lot of adapters and accessories if they use an odd size.

Let us know how it goes.
Posted: 10/13/2005 4:56:14 AM
IcallhimThero

I'm, kind of, up and running; I've got a 220-110V power adaptor (earthed) and the Etherwave pluged into my 'ghetto' blaster. Now I know what Missy Elliot means by 'needles off the meter.' I've just read that I need to be about ten feet away and it does seem to sound better like that but I still can't hear any differences with 'waveform' and 'brightness'. But I need space! I never realised I had so much metal In my workshop. Of course I'm proud of my stand adaptor which I can easily remove when I'm doing a gig (haha) using a real stand. That'll be when I'm about 95. Unless I'm on the streets and by the subway entrance quite soon.
Maybe I'll give Wilco a call one day to check it out. In fact Holland is so small that if I stand on my roof I think I can see him.
Consider that a screw (pitch) is like a wave (pitch). A sort of rotating wave. Hmmm.
I still want to know the name of the guy and the band (they were quite famous) who got electrocuted when he touched his mike on stage. It was about 30 years ago. Yes I'm an old git.
ttfn.
Posted: 10/13/2005 10:18:20 PM
user

Keith Relf of the Yardbirds?

He died of a heart attack in 1976, possibly after being shocked by his amp.
Posted: 10/14/2005 11:26:49 AM
IcallhimThero

Hi,
Good to hear from you, and nice try but it didn't ring a bell and I thought The Yardbirds were history in 1976, so I looked on the net (I think this computer thing is really going to take off) and it says he died at home. No, this was a performing band and the guy died on stage at a concert; electrocuted when he touched the mike, and it made the news. But then again I'm begining to imagine all kinds of things like: women might still like me or: I could learn to play the theremin.
I think I've got to make this into a competition but what could the prize be?
Of course! A camera-tripod adaptor: 5/8"x27 outside and 1/4 W inside, hand turned in brass or aluminum, with coin-slot for easy removal. Mount your theremin on a camera tripod. Tilt it at a rakish angle! Spice up your act.
I'm on the level. I'll need some edvidence of course.
ttnn.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.