Thereminist groupies

Posted: 10/19/2005 6:30:38 PM
Jason

Snatching a sub-topic from the Roll Call thread (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=947&F=1), I was wondering if any of you performing thereminists have experienced the "groupie phenomenon" yet?

The only ones I've seen was a group of 2-3 guys at the Barbez concert at Ethermusic 2005. One of the fellows even played air theremin (though, aren't we all?) for the whole show! He stayed at the edge of the stage watching every move Pamelia made & mimicking her.

Anyone else?
Posted: 10/19/2005 7:11:50 PM
vonbuck

then again i'd be a groupie for Pamelia no matter what instrument she played, grrrrrrrrrr
Andy
Posted: 10/21/2005 1:58:56 AM
glowman1

Yes,

I have had quite a few encounters with Theremin groupies here in the Bay Area. I have had people ask me if there were "magnets" in my hands, and, of course, the classic line about whether or not I had the same problem with shorting-out electrical equipment and light bulbs when in close proximity...

Here a pix of my latest groupie -- a rather large women with biblical proportions:

Groupie (http://glowfactory.org/sextheremin.jpg)
Posted: 10/21/2005 10:55:54 AM
DiggyDog

I have had a few fute chickies chat me up after a particularly good theremin gig.

Everybody has seen guitarists do everything under the sun with their instruments so it is kind of old hat by now.

I think the future for theremin groupies is very good.

It's all new. All you have to do at this point is show up and make some noise.
Posted: 10/21/2005 5:30:12 PM
ThereMan

ive gotten a little attention from people after shows, most have one question and one request: what is it? and can i try it
Posted: 10/22/2005 4:55:45 AM
Oscar

When I was at Vienna this summer, I was lucky to go to a Barbara Buchholz's concert. In fact, I chose the date to go to Vienna to be able to go there.

I noticed something important there.

There were other 2 theremin players there, they seemed not so experienced as Barbara. Just after the show, Baarbara quickly dismounted her T-Vox theremin and took it out from the stage. She was not reachable the next 20 minutes or so. She was the more clever one.

What happened the next 40 minutes or so? I have photos of that: half of the people at that little theatre went up to the stage to ask about the instrument and ask if they could play it. There were 2 theremins left there - another T-Vox and a Paia. Of course, I tried them too, because I had not the chance before.

So, the conclusion is this: if you want to go soon from a show, better dismount your theremin quicly and go to the backstage for some minutes ;)
Probably when you have been playing for more than 20 gigs, it is very boring to ask the same questions again and again, and have the people playing terribly your theremin hurting your poor old ears ;)
Posted: 10/22/2005 4:57:07 AM
Oscar

sorry, when I said "ask the same questions" I meant "answer" them ;)
Posted: 10/24/2005 11:07:20 AM
Jason

:) The same thing has happened to me just about every time I've played in public for a non-theremin-saavy audience. On one hand, I feel it's important to answer all their questions so we can dispell myths & promote the instrument to a public that's interested & willing to learn. On the other hand, it can get very old.
Posted: 10/24/2005 12:25:38 PM
DiggyDog

Yes, it can get old but I like having the chance to spread the word.

I keep saying I am going to make a little info sheet to hand to people when they ask questions but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

One of my friends suggested putting a holder on my theremin stand to hold the pamphlets but I sure wouldn't want people waling up into my control zone all night...
Posted: 10/24/2005 2:20:37 PM
Jason

Sounds like a new t-shirt concept :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.