Calling all Portland, OR thereminists. Theremin Christmas @ Pioneer Square

Posted: 10/29/2005 4:58:26 PM
Tallwes

Every year, or at least last year, all the tubists in Portland get together and have an event called Tuba Christmas at Pioneer Courthouse Square, where they present a free tuba concert for downtown Portland. ARE WE THEREMINISTS JUST GOING TO STAND THERE AND LET ALL THE TUBISTS HAVE ALL THE FUN? :-(O)

How about we all get together and organize a Theremin Christmas, Either Christmas or etc at Pioneer Square and give the downtown area some exposure to the theremin. A chance to further would thereminization. I myself don’t have a way of running my axe on battery power so I can’t participate without some means of AC power. I am sure others are in the same boat too. It would be nice if an event can be officially organized and have AC power provided for the performers.

Is there any interest amongst Portland, OR thereminists for doing this? :)
Posted: 10/31/2005 1:12:49 AM
Tallwes

BUMP! :)
Posted: 11/8/2005 10:20:30 PM
Tallwes

BUMP!!

...OUCH! :)
Posted: 11/8/2005 11:51:27 PM
dulcimoo

It's to cold - and to far away for me. Why don't you come down to San Diego. In Summer. Do a summer soltice thing.
Posted: 11/13/2005 10:36:51 AM
dulcimoo

What about rain. No rain on the Theremins please. When excactly did you plan on doing this?
Posted: 11/13/2005 11:01:43 PM
Tallwes

The tubists had made arrangements for a see-thru canapy to play under. I was thinking sometime in December.
Posted: 11/14/2005 3:46:57 PM
DiggyDog

I am much too far away to show up in person but I used to do a lot of acoustic playing (guitars and drums, etc) at our local Riverwalk in Downtown Jacksonville.

We had to get an ongoing permit to play their every Thursday but sometimes for a special occasion the city would turn on the power there for us top run some small amps and stuff and we would go electric.

You would have to have a canopy as well as electric power to make it work.

Also, think about renting some space heaters to warm things up a bit.

Good luck!

Posted: 11/26/2005 1:30:21 AM
Tallwes

I just been to the Christmas tree lighting ceremony at Pioneer Square. They had a list of all the winter/Christmas events at the square in the program. Tuba Christmas was listed but Theremin Christmas was no where to be seen, as was expected.

The funny thing about the lack of response to this post is that I picked up my Etherwave at Apple Music in Portland towards the end of March. One of my friends went there in August, I think, to pick one up and they were sold out. If I am the only thereminst in Portland, OR, then what happened to all those other Etherwaves that were for sale at Apple Music?
Posted: 11/26/2005 5:52:00 PM
dulcimoo

Well ... it's not exactly like you planned for there to be a Theremin Xmas. If you wan't one for next year - now is the time to start!
Posted: 12/10/2005 9:24:18 PM
Tallwes

I just got back from attending the Tuba Christmas at Pioneer Courthouse Square. It was an oompahing success like it had been years before. Those tubists did great and cranked out some good Christmas tunes.

While there I had a chance to talk to Katie one of the people who works for Pioneer Square and John who was the conductor. According to Katie it is Pioneer Square itself that organizes the event. One of their staff heard of the Tuba Christmas organization that does tuba concerts like this in other cities. Pioneer Square basically thought it would be a good idea and went for it. You can find out more about Tuba Christmas @ www.tubachristmas.com. Can we start a similar organization for the theremin? Corporate sponsors provide the funds for renting the space at Pioneer Square and providing the tent covering, hiring a conductor, etc. A $5 registration fee for the tubists also is an income source for the event. The event was equipped with a tent like transparent canopy, electrical power and amplification. Any tubist can register and join the concert. They had a rehearsal at 10:00am and the concert was at 1:30pm. There was also a rehearsal at one of the local high schools also. I also told Katie all about the theremin and showed her a sample from David Vessel’s Spellbound show on the IPOD which was provided to me by Spellbound and Theremin World, thanx again guys. :) She was impressed and said that she will check out thereminworld.com.

I got a chance to talk to John, the conductor, he knew of the theremin and said that he was involved in a recording project that included a theremin. He said he would love to hear a group of theremins together in an event such as Tuba Christmas.

During the event John would pause the concert and educate the public on tubas, such as the different types, the advantages/disadvantages of making the instruments out of fiberglass or brass, showed the audience a two bell tuba, etc. They sure got a plug in for world tubaization.

Man, if only a few thereminists can get together get some sponsors and rent the Square and a tent. Katie said that the Square might not be interested in hosting and organizing a theremin Christmas event itself since it is doing enough of its own holiday events. This would be a great way to promote world thereminization. I know there are thereminists in Portland, OR because a friend of mine went to Apple Music to buy one and they were sold out. And Apple did have theremins in stock since that is where I bought my theremin.

Come on guys are we going to let the Tubist have all the fun next year? :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.