theremin while pregnant?

Posted: 11/22/2005 1:14:01 PM
kerilatimer

hello,
after performing sometimes, i'll invite audience members to come up and try the theremin, as they are always so intrigued by it, and on one occasion a pregnant woman asked me whether or not the electro magnetic waves may have negative effects on the fetus, as she was thinking of buying one. i hadn't the slightest idea. anyone?
Posted: 11/22/2005 1:35:43 PM
hypergolic

Its very low frequency radio waves, at very low power. Should be very safe.
Posted: 11/22/2005 3:22:29 PM
dulcimoo

It should be safer then a cell or portable phone. If she uses one of those the the Thereman should be OK too. If she worries about the Thereman the she should get rid of her microwave, portable or cell phones, TV, Radio, and remote for cars and doors.
Posted: 11/22/2005 9:15:04 PM
user

Her big problem is going to be her extreme change in personal capacitance!

That, and finding time/energy to practice....
Posted: 11/23/2005 8:42:32 AM
DiggyDog

Wow!

Talk about starting 'em young!

I do understand her reluctance to expose her baby to electromagnetic energy.

My guess is that it probably would be safe but who knows?

I wonder if there has been any research done on this topic. Maybe someone could make a little mouse-sized theremin and get some pregnant rodents and teach them to play....
Posted: 11/24/2005 1:47:12 AM
dulcimoo

Well the real question is what is safe? The general cancer rate seems to be going up or is it? It may be that just other things that would kill people (like childhood diseases or heart attacks or trauma) are being overcome so what is left is cancer. Or even perhaps the people that would have died from the child hood diseases have different immune systems and are more prone to cancer so by letting them live longer then general cancer rates are up. On the other hand the old timers who played Theremin lived a long time so I would expect it to be generally safe. My limited experience with Tesla Coils (250KV / 0.01A @ 250KHz) shows that then fields general are not “penetrating” but mostly travels along the skin to ground. (And that would me it quite safe - as the Theremin is using much lower voltages at higher freqs it would be even safer!)
Posted: 11/24/2005 12:57:47 PM
jeshum

Lydia Kavina didn't stop playing theremin when she was pregnant. She has two healthy sons.

--
Jessica

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.