Review of a Review: Music from the Ether

Posted: 12/8/2005 11:45:07 PM
kkissinger

"Being in a funky mood this morning, I feel compelled to post some thoughts on Steven V. Funk's ..."

Jason, was the pun intended? :D

Well, I read the review and also went to Amazon.com and read the user reviews, too.

Interestingly enough, some of the users that didn't care for "Ether" liked "Art of the Theremin" and some of the "Ether" fans really bashed "Art of the Theremin". (Just can't please everyone, huh?)

I recall a book that I stumbled across years ago: "A Lexicon of Musical Invective" which was a collection of actual reviews taking pot-shots at composers including Beethoven, Rimsky-Korsakoff, Reger, Schoenberg, etc.

(Max Reger actually wrote to the author of a scathing review: "Dear Sir, I am now seated in the smallest chamber of my house. Your review is in front of me. It is soon to be behind me.")

To get a bad review is to be in good company.
Posted: 12/11/2005 7:31:49 PM
GordonC

Jason wrote: I am curious to learn more about Geoff Brady

Well, with a little bit of googling I can report good news and bad news.

Mr Brady is available for theremin work.

I have a fair idea of what working with him would be like (http://stevergo.diaryland.com/051120_2.html).

Posted: 12/11/2005 11:45:14 PM
David Vesel

The fact that the review appeared at "blogcritics.com" says all I need to know.
Posted: 12/27/2005 1:51:22 PM
kkissinger

While I had heard some parts of this CD prior to Christmas, I recieved "Music from the Ether" as a Christmas gift and I have had an opportunity to listen to it a few times.

This is simply an exquisite CD. Lydia's performance is breathtaking in its accuracy and sheer musical excitement.

Lydia's interpretation is not sentimental and overtly rubato -- in fact, it is very powerful and strong playing that is well-suited to the featured repertoire.

The other musicians also deliver stellar performances.

Having listened critically to this CD has made me all the more amazed that Funk or anyone else would give it such a biased, negative review.

I will admit that Lydia's CD is in the realm of "serious art music" and is not everyone's cup of tea. However, the varying preferences of listeners does not change the value of Lydia's performance. Simply stated, a stunning accomplishment.
Posted: 12/27/2005 6:45:03 PM
Jeff S

Then you could imagine what a treat it was for some of us to see Lydia perform a wide range of pieces, from classical to experimental, this past August in Asheville. Hopefully next time there will be an even better turnout. (It's about time for another reminder.)

It's better to just ignore all of the naysayers and critics. It's become apparent to me that either people like the theremin or they don't. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.