i want my life back...

Posted: 11/4/2006 1:41:54 AM
buddycraigg

... well not really.

i paused a DVD that me and the mrs was watching so i could meet the pizza guy at the end of the driveway (my dog isn't very freindly to strangers)

anyway i had some song goning through my head that i know i heard from listening to theremin music.

probably on that dang spellbound site

if i have to listen to it then you guys do to.
so here it goes...

Do de do de doo.
Do do de do de do de do de dooo.

i hope you go to sleep tring to figure it out.

Posted: 11/4/2006 2:47:06 AM
TomFarrell

I told you, the Theremin selected you. Now you're stuck with it until it's finished having its way with you.

You thought I was kidding, didn't you?
Posted: 11/4/2006 4:19:34 AM
Charlie D

Do de do de doo.

That's Spellbound alright.
Posted: 11/4/2006 2:38:26 PM
buddycraigg

Is this normally how people are introduced to the theremin?

I feel like I’ve been raped.
I’ve had dreams about them (*chuckle* in one of them [i]I[/i] was playing).
If I’m not doing a complex task my mind wonders over them.
I’ve spent all of my free time (and even some not so free time) reading about, listening to, watching video of them being played.
My year old account on myspace didn’t have any info on it until 2 weeks ago. I filled it in so I can search out thereminist throughout the world.

And the wife is probably getting annoyed by me yelling across the house, “Honey, come here, you’ve got to hear this”

On Halloween, my 14yo stepson kept saying, “turn it off… please”

Now I just need to find a ringtone and I’ll be all set.

The best thing I can compare it to is when you first get in to a new relationship. The giddy infatuation. The warm romantic feelings.

Maybe when the next person gets thereminized he/she will read what I went through and they’ll feel a little bit better.
Posted: 11/4/2006 4:37:03 PM
kkissinger

[i]Is this normally how people are introduced to the theremin?

...I’ve spent all of my free time (and even some not so free time) reading about, listening to, watching video of them being played.

...The best thing I can compare it to is when you first get in to a new relationship. The giddy infatuation. The warm romantic feelings.

Maybe when the next person gets thereminized he/she will read what I went through and they’ll feel a little bit better.[/i]

All relationships begin with an initial "high", and that includes one's relationship with a new musical instrument. The question is: "What remains when the 'high' wears off?"

What keeps me enthused about the Theremin is:

1) It has a nuanced, expressive sound that compliments my synths and other electronic equipment.

2) The Theremin is a continual challenge to play. It seems that one can always push for higher degrees of accuracy and musicality. To reach ever increasing levels of performance is to experience profound satisfaction.

I find that when I play the Theremin, that all external thoughts fade away. There is no past or future -- it is all present. I can only think about making music -- no brainpower left for the mind to wander. I always feel refreshed after a long practice session.

So, chances are, that after the initial infatuation fades, you will find that your involvement with the Theremin will add richness to your life without any harmful effects.

Pretty good deal, huh? :)
Posted: 11/4/2006 5:26:44 PM
GordonC

[i]Now I just need to find a ringtone and I’ll be all set.[/i]

Theremin World's own Ann Cantelow (Hi, Ann!) posted some excellent ones on her website as mp3s. Here (http://www.cantelow.com/vanity/theremin/).

I think actually getting them onto a phone is still an unresolved challenge.
Posted: 11/4/2006 8:27:23 PM
GordonC

[i]..The best thing I can compare it to is when you first get in to a new relationship. The giddy infatuation. The warm romantic feelings.[/i]

Surely that's the pre-relationship-admiring-from-afar phase.

As I recall from my dating days, next comes the turning-into-a-tonguetied-clumsy-redfaced-idiot phase while you try to reconcile the fantasy with the reality.

So, hey, play it cool, take it slow and don't expect to be making sweet music straight away, just spend some time getting to know each other and having fun together.
Posted: 11/4/2006 9:32:46 PM
buddycraigg

[b]GordonC[/b]
[i]take it slow and don't expect to be making sweet music straight away, just spend some time getting to know each other and having fun together.[/i]

good advice. will do.
Posted: 11/5/2006 1:54:52 AM
buddycraigg

[b]Charlie D[/b]
[i]Do de do de doo.

That's Spellbound alright.[/i]

i figured out what it was, it's Miss Hypnotique's Clara De Lune
Posted: 11/5/2006 5:46:15 AM
Charlie D

Try playing Clair de Lune. It's very nice, and not infeasable for a neophyte.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.