the holidays are stupid.

Posted: 12/19/2006 10:05:12 PM
buddy_craigg

I don’t need an excuse to buy gifts for my loved ones. And society saying that I have to spend time with my friends and family on so-and-so day is just ridicules.

Taking time from the things I want / need to get done annoys the hell out of me.

I’m not harping on Christmas alone.
Thanksgiving, a holiday celebrating how the colonist suckered the American Indian, keeps me from getting things done when I’m off from my day job.
Easter Sunday, Kansas doesn’t sell beer.
New Years day, I couldn’t find a hardware store open if my life depended on it.

They’re just days of the year.

I would rather have my mother’s birthday off so I could take her to lunch.
Or maybe the first day of school, so I’m home at 3:30 and my son can tell me all about it.
My anniversary, if nothing else but to score some points with the ol’ lady.

These are the days I want to have off from work.

thanks for listening
buddy
Posted: 12/20/2006 12:05:06 AM
TomFarrell

I [i]do[/i] need an excuse to buy gifts for my loved ones. Many of them are uncomfortable about receiving gifts without a special occasion for which it's traditional.

Thanksgiving is the only holiday I feel we have left that isn't all about spending vast amounts of money at the mall: it's a time I get together with the people I love and we give thanks for having each other.

You can't buy beer in Massachusetts any sunday, easter or not, other than being served in a bar or restaurant. Our hardware stores are open on New Years Day, however.

Look, I'm opposed to legislating religious holidays, and frankly I'm glad my employer gives me the flexibility to take time off when I want it instead of necessarily only when everyone else wants to, but the reality of our culture is that it's just not practical to do certain work when everybody else is off.

At the risk of bringing this message on topic, perhaps we should remember for a moment that Lev Termin was made to be a slave laborer for the KGB for many years, and we can have some thankfulness for the fact that we at least get to have *some* choice in when we take time off, and in what we do.
Posted: 12/20/2006 12:27:19 AM
buddy_craigg

thanks tom vor prointing zat oout, ve know vere you are living, unt ve know wooh you are talking vith.

if the worse we have to complain about is how bad the newest you-tube video is, then i guess i should keep my stupid mouth shut. (you wish!!!)
Posted: 12/20/2006 11:17:25 AM
vonbuck

I thought you could but beer on Sundays in Mass. Or is that just the New Hampshire border towns? I also thought it use to be the beer stores were open on sun. after Thanksgiving? The drunks I use to play with in Boston ( I say drunks lovingly,) couldn't wait untill then so they didn't haave to drive North.
In Ct. not only are they closed Sundays, but need to close by 9 PM

Andy
Posted: 12/20/2006 12:37:55 PM
kkissinger

Well, all the holiday "stuff" can be a real hassle. Don't let it get you down.

Remember the line from "Monty Python and the Holy Grail": "... let's not argue over (etc etc) -- this is supposed to be a HAPPY occasion!"

**** eeeeevile grin ****

May the season bring moments of fun and good humor to all.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.