My kingdom for a coat tree…

Posted: 1/5/2007 1:22:54 AM
buddy_craigg

gordon, i somehow dont think the legs would be stable enough. (and i may never leave my house)

BUT!!! i have found a wood rod that i'm satisfied with and will start working on it as soon as possible.

and you guys said it couldn't be done.
Posted: 1/5/2007 5:50:57 AM
Charlie D

I would have suggested some sort of sidetable, or maybe even something cuboid with similar dimensions to the instrument itself, so that you finished with a tall wooden pillar, maybe even with sloping sides, or velvet cloth draped around to conceal the table.

That said - you wouldn't even need to replace the mike stand if you just added cloth.
Posted: 1/5/2007 6:36:17 AM
Alexander

Wouldn't a table/pillar just load the volume and pitch antennas and make it impossible to play?
Posted: 1/5/2007 7:33:02 AM
GordonC

Depends what it's made of. Avoid metallic or soggy materials and you should be ok. The etherwave manual says:

[i]The ETHERWAVE theremin requires either a standard microphone stand (preferred) or a small table 36" to 42" high. If a table is used, no objects on the table should be within a foot or two of the theremin, and the theremin itself should be positioned so that the the volume antenna will overhang the edge of the table.[/i]
Posted: 1/5/2007 11:12:13 AM
buddy_craigg

Charlie D:
[i]I would have suggested some sort of sidetable, or maybe even something cuboid with similar dimensions to the instrument itself,[/i]

Charlie, remember i drive Pontiac Fieros. they have about as much cargo space as say... your school locker.

i dont want to be taboo, but this is one time that size does count
Posted: 1/5/2007 3:02:49 PM
buddy_craigg

well, i just can wait anymore to get a wood stand built so i'm going to go buy a mic stand tonight.
Posted: 1/5/2007 5:34:38 PM
Alexander

[i]Charlie, remember i drive Pontiac Fieros. they have about as much cargo space as say... your school locker.[/i]

I went to the "rival" school to Charlie's. We had tiny lockers. I'm really bendy and I could fit inside one.

That's right.

Ladies, [i]hello[/i].
Posted: 1/28/2007 10:30:47 PM
lowfer

Just having paid $40 for a boom stand I won't use the top part of, this discussion interests me. Especially since my Etherwave is a kit, finished natural wood.

I see two different approaches: One is to come up with a set of 4 legs that would attach to sockets or something on the corners of the theremin. The other way is to build something wooden with folding legs that works like those on an Olympic rifle stand. Those are really clever, and don't fall over too much (they fall over "just enough" lol!).

A leg on each corner, angled out just a bit, could work well. The Etherwave case is built like a battleship so strength would not be a problem......
Posted: 1/29/2007 8:57:50 AM
DiggyDog

You can't beat a regular old mic stand for its simplicity and stability.

I have only knocked my theremin over once (and I was able to catch it before it hit the floor...)
Posted: 1/30/2007 2:37:36 AM
lowfer

I got a "boom stand" from Starving Musician in Santa Cruz, basically the same thing they have their demo Etherwave set up on. It was almost $40 too, I had to buy the whole thing, so now I have this boom thing sitting around here.

I also had a great time making noise on their Etherewave with the help of a guy who normally plays the musical saw, I'm sure we annoyed the heck out of everyone there, it was great!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.