Video production in windows vista

Posted: 4/19/2007 10:24:23 AM
Thomas Grillo

Ignore this thread, or read at your own risk. it's just nonsense on my part, and a waste of time for which I apologize.

I just finnished building a windows vista machine today, and checked out movie maker.

You know how bad my videos on youtube sucked?

Well, it turns out movie maker in Vista has some cool new features that allow you to do tittles right on top of the actual video just like you seen in professional productions, not just at the front, or end.

I'm tempted to yank all my videos, and re rip them with the new effects.

You can make stuff fade in and out too.
Posted: 4/19/2007 11:44:59 AM
GordonC

Resist the temptation!

I'm old enough to remember the introduction of WYSIWYG Word Processors, offering people the facility to use every single font, every colour, every size, every effect imaginable on a single sheet of paper.

And they did, along with a dozen dreadful bits of clip art.

Oh my word.

P.S. I very much enjoyed your latest video, the oddly named "channel icon, no content" - which I imagine was inspired by John Cage's 4'33" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUJagb7hL0E).
Posted: 4/19/2007 1:18:31 PM
DiggyDog

Gordon, that kind of thing still happens.

I have a friend who did a website for his family's business in the Bahamas and he used every Gawd-awful color and font imaginable. Each page had a different look and feel and it was very hard on the eyes and the sensabilities.

Thomas, if you do it, just pick one font and stick with it. As far as fades, crossfades and nifty tricks, less is more.

Do only what will help convey the info effectively and don;t go over board and you will be fine.
Posted: 4/19/2007 1:26:57 PM
Thomas Grillo

Don't worry, all I plan to use it for is basic sensible editing like, fades in, and out to black, tittles, and credits. I had another editor, but it was like programming to work it. Fear not, there won't be any goofy effects.

The Channel Icon video is the only way you can make a custom channel profile icon on youtube. You have to make a 5 second video, and upload it. Then you have to make your channel icon from it. I tried to hide the video, but when you make it private, your icon goes away.
Posted: 4/19/2007 1:34:07 PM
Thomas Grillo

Another reason not to fear, I took an introductory course in videography, but that was using actual high end equipment like charactor genorators, genlocks, the works.

You are so right about less being more.

I'm reworking my antenna mod demo video which will have some explanitory overlay tittles at certain points, but they just fade in, and out for a few seconds. I'm also chopping off the walk-on, and walk-off junky parts of the videos in favor of a nice black fade to credits, and black fade to video, and then out. Like you see in real tv shows, or movies. No weird optical effects.
Posted: 4/20/2007 4:44:36 AM
GordonC

[i]Less is more.[/i]

Generally I agree, but prefer:

[i]Less is more, except at Christmas.[/i]

The point is, yes, let's be all tasteful and minimally elegant, but once in a while, when the circumstances justify it, you just gotta go for it, full-on and hard-core, no room for timidity.

"Dad, have we finished decorating the tree yet?"

"No, I can still see some of the original foliage."
Posted: 4/20/2007 8:25:10 AM
DiggyDog

Thomas, it sounds like yo uknow what you are doing.

Gordon, you could save money on the thre tree and just put up the decorations on a pole....
Posted: 4/20/2007 8:27:53 AM
DiggyDog

Thomas, is that a Peavey amp I see in your avatar?

I still have my Peavey TNT 100 bass amp that I bought almost 20 years ago.

It was several years old then and is still oging strong with the original speaker.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new Crate KBX100.

It works great for both my theremin and my bass but I am keeping the Peavey for when the Crate dies one day. I am sure the Peavey will still be working.
Posted: 4/20/2007 10:38:37 AM
Thomas Grillo

That is indeed a Peavy Encore 65 amp. It's mainly intended for use in large venues, and does not get used all that much in house. Can't afford to replace tubes every month right now. I just got the schematics, and manuals for it from Peavy so it can still be worked on. It was made back in the mid 80s.

If you watch Peter Pringle's DVD, I think I remember seeing the same exact model on the DVD.

I had no idea the vintage amps like this one are so popular.

Oh, remastered versions of some of my works are up at youtube. I hate what myspace did to the audio quality when I started posting there. Youtube doesn't have that problem. It'll be a while before I can remaster a few of my other videos because they are AVI format, and Movie Maker doesn't do AVI without the proper codecs.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.