Did someone request theremin lessons on youtube?

Posted: 5/12/2007 5:02:36 PM
Thomas Grillo

In response to a levnet member wondering why nobody has done a short 5 to 10 minute theremin lesson on youtube, I decided to release a couple of short introductory level lessons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cd4jvtAr8JM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I0VUKwP0Sko

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MJEbIMOfAMg
Posted: 5/12/2007 7:22:25 PM
GordonC

OK, mea culpa. They do say one should be careful what one wishes for.

Only kidding. Those are wonderful. "Filmed on location in Mississippi." I love it!

Just a suggestion. You're packing a lot of info into a short time. Might want to slow it down a bit, reiterate key points, give people a bit less to take on board all at once. I can't think of a popular aphorism that fits, but there is probably one along the lines of: A lesson well learned is better than two half learned.
Posted: 5/12/2007 7:45:33 PM
Thomas Grillo

I've been wondering if I should have done a watered down version. I may still do that.

Thanks.
Posted: 5/13/2007 3:53:05 PM
Thomas Grillo

Gordon, if you're out there, Please pass this on to the Levnet group, Thanks.

In response to the levnetter's comment suggesting that one looks at the pitch antenna, this is not an option for me, as I'm legally blind.

Also, evin if I could see well enough, I'd probably give up looking at the antenna at some point a few years down the road, as this would be like a touch typist, or pianist looking at the keyboard. Once you do that, you start second guessing your muscle memory skills.

In the very first few months, I did look at the antenna, and realized it was not helping because I have no depth perception. I must therefore rely strictly on muscle memory, and my ears to guid me.

However, the suggestion is greatly appreciated, and is certainly good, and valid advice for anyone just starting out on the theremin.
Posted: 5/13/2007 5:29:55 PM
GordonC

Done.

G
Posted: 5/13/2007 6:08:41 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks.
Posted: 5/13/2007 8:45:53 PM
Brian R

My vision isn't quite so far gone yet--though if it weren't correctable, I would've been legally blind decades ago.

Nonetheless, I find it counterproductive to look at the pitch antenna: better to keep it in my peripheral vision, and focus on the SOUND.

I don't close my eyes entirely, because then I don't notice my hand drifting off axis, until too late.

Some of my best playing happens when I'm staring out the window, rather than at my hands or the instrument.
Posted: 5/13/2007 10:01:02 PM
Thomas Grillo

I've noticed that about my playing too. As soon as I look at the theremin, my balance goes, and so does the intonation. I have to just imagin I'm looking up into the balcany of a theater, and then everything's fine again. I don't evin have pariferal vision to work with, so I just have to go by sound, and muscle memory.
Posted: 5/14/2007 9:07:38 AM
DiggyDog

I'm in a similar situation. My vision is correctable but without my contacts or glasses I am legally blind also.

I occasionally look at th epitch antenna but I odn;t think vision is the main thing at work. It can help to have a reference point but I think the muscles do a better job.
Posted: 5/14/2007 9:09:24 AM
DiggyDog

BTW, Thomas, I like the new pic.

The background is nice and you look like a music professor.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.