MattS Progress...

Posted: 10/8/2007 11:46:13 AM
Matts

Well it has been a slow start, but I think I m getting somewhere. I have been working on scales, jumps, and simple melodies. I have decided to hook up a tuner to my theremin and this has helped SO much. I have been playing along with simple Midi files I have found on the internet, and have been listening to a ton of theremin music.

I have always thought in terms of space, and note intervales, but after watching the Moog video it shed new light on the whole situation. I am spending more time focusing on the volume hand to help improve phrasing and shaping notes. I have been thinking of my volume hand as a bow and that has helped alot.

And a big help has been the forums. I have looked back in past posts to help me improve. So thanks to everyone here. I feel I have made great progress, and hope to post a Youtube video soon.

Posted: 10/8/2007 12:04:53 PM
carport888

Cool! I look forward to seeing your video(s).
Posted: 10/24/2007 6:43:37 PM
Matts

Ok so I finally got around to doing a video well two. The first is from 2 weeks ago, and the second is from late last week. I feel like I am finally making a little progress, but still need to focus on the my volume hand more. My pitch is getting better, and I am trying to use some fingerings. I have visted many of the old threads of Ariel fingering and this has truley help a ton. Also a big thanks goes to Kevin for his great video's on jumps. So next step is to work more with the Clara book, and the Lydia Kavina DVD. I am also thinking about the Peter Pringle DVD. I see many people here have given it great praise. Well here is the link to the video's... Please be kind! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA11pVX5vKM
Posted: 10/24/2007 6:45:49 PM
Matts

Oh I while listening to the videos you may get a sensation that you are in an ice cream parlor. Sorry about all the scooping I do....
Posted: 10/24/2007 7:09:39 PM
kkissinger

Hi MattS,

You are moving your arm from the shoulder as you move from pitch to pitch. As a result, your elbow is moving in a kind of arc along with your hand. Thus you are trying to control your shoulder, elbow, and hand.

You might want to keep your elbow down. Let your elbow dangle at your side in a relaxed manner. Move your arm by pivoting on the elbow rather than pivoting on the shoulder. You may find it easier to control your pitch that way.

All the best!

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 12/5/2007 11:53:18 PM
Matts

So it has been hard to get time to practice, but sometimes time away only makes you better. I have had lots of subing gigs, so tons of music to learn.

But, I have spent many hours with the Clara Rockmore book, and a tuner, and all I have to say is WOW. This has heled a ton! I just sat down and pplayed for a half hour, and things are sounding more in tune. Thanks to Kevins help I have been controling my right arm much better, and working on articulations with the volume hand as well. I have spent many hours just focusing on fingerings, and ear training. This has paid off. The nice thing is I have had to do so much transcribing of bass parts it has really helped my ear. I am gaining more confidence and I feel that I am starting to move forward.

Thanks for all the help TW!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.