The New, Improved Theremin World

Posted: 11/28/2011 6:01:16 PM
Jeff S

Congratulations guys for bringing the new, improved Theremin World to fruition.  It's been a long time in coming, and I hope it will be worth all of the effort to you.

I realize you're still in the process of making the transition, but can you tell us about any upgrades or additional features that may be added in the future?  Or, was the move soley to bring it to a more stable platform?

I see some edting features have been added to the posting window.

Posted: 11/29/2011 12:29:30 AM
Jason

Thanks Jeff! 

The biggest new "feature" is stability and performance.  This was a complete rewrite using ASP.NET MVC and SQL Server 2008 R2 instead of the old ASP and an Access database.  So, we should scale much better now.  Hopefully the site feels faster to you as a result.

Some of the side benefits of the new site currently are that our URLs will be more "searchable", so hopefully that helps more people find our community. 

Some minor improvements include CAPTCHA for posting comments and forum posts for your first 10 posts, so hopefully that will cut down on SPAM - something I know you're passionate about stopping ;).

In the not-too-distant future, I plan to add more features to allow content posted by site members: articles, links, files, photos, etc.  I'm also planning some special features for performing thereminists... but more on that later :)

The highest priority right now is completing the porting of all the old content from the old platform to this one.  As soon as that's done, I'll get started on the new features.

If you have any suggestions for features or find any bugs, please keep the feedback coming. 

thanks!

Jason

Posted: 11/29/2011 12:31:17 AM
Jason

You can also tweet and "like" forum topics now, so feel free to share the love if you see something you think others would be interested in.

Posted: 11/29/2011 1:08:35 AM
Jeff S

Access?!!!  That explains a few things.

Thanks for integrating the CAPTCHA.  I'm sure that'll help some: at least with the emails from me. ;-)  Unfortunately, some of these buggers are persistent.  Now that they know they are free to spam after only ten posts, you'll be back to deleting posts and members.  Another sight I frequent recently incorporated CAPTCHA, and just yesterday they were deluged with three pages of nothing but spam!  Thankfully, they deleted it all fairly quickly instead of taking two or three weeks to get around to it.

You've already provided the biggest feature on my wish list: the ability to read the postings I'm responding to while writing. Before, if I needed to do that, I'd have to open up two instances of the webpage.

One thing that might be nice is a Help category, just to hold basic "need to know" information.  For instance, now that you've provided a function to upload images in the postings, is there a size limit (dimensional/file size)?

Hopefully, all of this will allow you to spend the time you need to with your young ones instead of propping up this website.  Thanks again.

Posted: 11/29/2011 1:13:58 AM
Jeff S

Hmmm....I don't see an edit function anymore.  Will that be returning?  I do my best to proof-read, but all too often I find myself misspelling things and using poor grammar, etc.  (Yes, that's still important to some people.)

Posted: 11/29/2011 12:21:54 PM
kkissinger

Hey, the new look for Thereminworld is very nice.  Thanks to John and Jason for keeping the site up and running.

Posted: 11/29/2011 3:17:46 PM
Jason

Yep - I'll be adding the post edit function back soon.  It's very high on the list of features to finish off.  Deleting posts is much easier with the new site, so we should be able to stay on top of any spam that leaks through better too.

Thanks Kevin!

Posted: 11/29/2011 3:31:16 PM
ILYA

test test test test test test 

test image

Posted: 11/29/2011 6:06:59 PM
Amethyste

Looks REALLY nice guys!!! It's like a facelift! :)

Posted: 11/30/2011 12:46:34 AM
Jeff S

Another question...Is there still going to be a 26 post limit to each thread?  If there is, that may be another point for the Help file.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.