Wireless headset microphone and theremin

Posted: 12/13/2011 3:18:22 AM
Amethyste

I am going to srart gigging and i want to play the theremin and singing (not at the same time... not yet) and wanted to get a wireless headset mic like this one

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATW-701-H92-TH-Headworn-Microphone/dp/B0013UMRH0/ref=pd_cp_MI_3

Will it be ok or it will cause problems with the Theremin's field?

Thank you!

Posted: 12/13/2011 11:37:04 AM
coalport

Amey, 

There should be no problem with interference between your theremin and your wireless microphone. I have used a couple of different makes of wireless headsets and lavaliers and never had any difficulties.

The challenge will be trying to sing while playing the theremin (if you ever decide to try it). It's not hard to alternate between playing the theremin and singing within the same song, but doing the two together is really tricky. Both the theremin and the human voice have no reference except the human ear. When you try to do the two simultaneously, the ear has to keep both the voice and the theremin on key which means the two sounds must be clearly separated in the brain, and neither activity can interfere in any way with the other. 

It's relatively simple for a singer with the necessary skills to use keyboards or a guitar for accompaniment but playing the theremin is a whole 'nuther ball game!

Posted: 12/13/2011 2:57:29 PM
Amethyste

Thanks Coalport,

What I am trying to achieve is singing bits and pieces on a certain original song we are doing and play the theremin the other time I am not singing. I CAN however sing while I play (for a little bit), then after 10 seconds or so, it becomes terrible lol. I do know that having a microphone too close to the theremin is not a good thing, and we are playing on a small stage so space is already an issue for a theremin.

Our first live gig is this friday, we are opening up for a local band. There will not be any dual theremin and singing at the same time for this gig! then I am staying on with the band for 3 more songs (as a transition) and then I exit slowly... toward the bar as I am sure i'll need something to calm my nerves!

thank you for the reply, Coalport :)

Posted: 12/13/2011 6:10:25 PM
Thierry

Technically seen, I can't discover any reasons for problems. The AudioTechnica System works in the UHF range around 560MHz. This is 1000 to 2000 times higher than most of our theremin oscillators. And it has a continuous carrier wave, no pulses as a cell phone, so it should work fine.

Posted: 12/13/2011 7:55:45 PM
Amethyste

Thank you Thierry!!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.