Roll Call - 2012

Posted: 5/25/2012 10:06:20 AM
GordonC

Everything you will ever want to know about the RCA Theremin is available here:

http://rcatheremin.com/

Friending you now...

Oh, I can't friend Sarah Rice ALL SOULS NIGHT. But I can "like" you. Fair enough. Liking you now...

(My facebook band/musician page is one of the two "Beat Frequency" bands - the one with less "likes". <sadface>)

Posted: 5/27/2012 10:20:52 AM
All Souls Night

You can friend Sarah Rice on Facebook though. Will "like" your band.

Posted: 5/27/2012 6:42:28 PM
GordonC

Sorted. :-) I am delighted to be your friend.

Posted: 6/9/2012 11:29:21 AM
All Souls Night

Borrowed a MOOG Etherwave Theremin (not the pro, unfortunately) from a friend and am starting to learn how to play. I sound like a really remedial violin student! But I am hoping since I sing, it will come. It is just finding the right place for the note to be right and in tune. Got to watch more Clara and you all on Youtube! The sound on this thing is dreck, but at least I can start to develop muscle memory and coordination.

Having trouble communicating with Pegna Musical Instruments. I ordered through their web site and waiting to get the information so I can pay via PayPal. Nothing. Not even answers to my emails. Weird way to sell instruments...

Posted: 6/9/2012 3:01:45 PM
Amethyste

I think Matthia is actually playing a lot and is not really "around"... I think it is odd though, he should at least return emails and acknowledge interest... I sent him an email 3 months ago and finally replied...

Posted: 6/9/2012 4:59:16 PM
coalport

AllSouls,

One of the advantages of dealing with Moog Music is that they are THERE and they stand behind their products. If there is a problem with one of their theremins, they will fix it. I know of many people who have had trouble purchasing instruments from small, relatively unknown, foreign manufacturers. A number of the ones that existed just a few years ago have gone out of business, so parts and/or repairs can be tricky.

I have always been a big believer in: If you don't like the sound of your theremin, change the SOUND not the THEREMIN. 

With acoustic instruments you're more or less stuck with what you have but with electronic instruments there are many things you can do to radically alter a tone you don't like. 

"The theremin is an entirely electronic instrument and it is totally at home in the electronic environment." Bob Moog in ELECTRONIC ODYSSEY

It's great that you are now actually playing. 

Posted: 6/9/2012 10:30:43 PM
Charlie D

One disadvantage of purchasing a PEGNA THEREMIN is that, should it prove unsatisfactory (or even unplayable), you will have no immediate way to determine whether this is the fault of the instrument or not.

The video on the PEGNA website gives no little impression of the instrument's capabilities, and - as we've already seen - any marketer can declare a second hand radio set the 'Stradivarius of Theremins'.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTIMATE-THEREMIN-Analog-Synthesizer-Synth-Controller-Theramin-/32091356821

In my opinion, a better option would be to begin with a tried-and-tested instrument like the Etherwave Standard. The limitations of this instrument are well-understood, a number of excellent modifications are readily available, and technical guidance could be easily obtained.

Posted: 6/10/2012 12:33:45 AM
Thierry

coalport wrote:

One of the advantages of dealing with Moog Music is that they are THERE and they stand behind their products. 

I add: 

That seems actually not longer to be entirely true. Remember what happened to Roger Ballenger, when he called them in order to get his EPro fixed.

But there are others who do theremin repairs with great pleasure. Unfortunately one of them is located on the other side of the big pond...

Posted: 6/10/2012 10:58:21 AM
coalport

Hi Thierry,

Yes, I recall Roger did have a problem getting his E'Pro serviced, but that was an instrument that was discontinued a number of years ago. People who purchase currently manufactured Moog instruments are unlikely to have that kind of difficulty. 

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not defending Moog Music (may the wrath of great Saraswati descend upon them!) but the standard etherwave has been an a staple of the company since it began as Big Briar decades ago. As far as follow-up and service are concerned, I think Moog is probably a better bet than an obscure company that doesn't answer its emails.

Newcomers to the theremin who are first-time buyers usually base their decision to purchase on the sound of the instrument. Rarely do they ever hear the sound live. They usually go by YouTube recordings or mp3's. They are unfamiliar with all the other more important considerations such as linearity, configuration, etc. and generally have little or no experience with the way timbre can be radically altered in the chain between the instrument and the speaker.

Posted: 6/10/2012 9:18:23 PM
mollydad

@Sarah/ All Souls Night:  I have a Moog Etherwave Plus, and I felt the same as you about its buzzy tone until I installed Thierry's ESPE01 module into it in January of this year.  Thierry developed this to extend the Etherwave's playable bass (which it does) but to me, even more importantly, it hugely improved the tone.  This being said, there's only one tone which I really like right now, but I can work with that. The best way I can describe the improvement is that it seems smoother and less "zipper" like now....Thierry doesn't like to brag on himself, so the rest of us have to...I know I'm not alone in my feelings about his module...GordonC and Thomas Grillo from this forum have said similar things....If your Pegna never shows up, you can get a playable instrument with (at least one) nice tone by modifying either a stock Moog Etherwave or Etherwave plus for only about $100 US plus installation...and Thomas Grillo now offers this installation service...Best wishes, jcn AKA Mollydad

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.