Roll Call - 2012

Posted: 8/30/2012 11:19:21 AM
coalport

Hi Jake,

Welcome to Theremin World. I presume you have bought yourself a theremin. May I ask, what make of instrument you decided to get? What kind of music would you like to be able to play on it? The futuristic "intonarumori" of Luigi Russolo and Balilla Pratella, or the glorious romantic melodies of Puccini?

For some reason, musicians from the countries of the Mediterranean have not proved to be particularly good precision thereminists. This is certainly not due to a lack of enthusiasm. There are dedicated players in Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey and elsewhere in the Mediterranean region but they do not seem to excel at playing the theremin (as a precision instrument) the way their musical confreres do in the more northern European countries (Great Britain, Holland, Germany, Austria, etc.).

There are lots of thereminists in Finland, but Finns are from another planet.

France, as usual, can't make up its mind and is in the middle! Of course, historically it has had its own heterodyne instrument, the ondes martenot, invented by a Frenchman.

In 1930, conductor Leopold Stokowski made the mistake of introducing Maurice Martenot to Lev Termen in the misguided belief that the two engineer/inventors would immediately embrace one another, brainstorm together, and come up with something WONDERFUL. The two men spent several hours and afterward neither ever mentioned the encounter.

What Stokowski failed to realize is that Martenot had never forgiven Termen for beating him in the race to be the first to present an electronic instrument to the concertgoers of Paris in 1927. According to Martenot's biographer, Jean Laurendeau, Martenot was quite devastated by this.

Posted: 8/30/2012 2:03:57 PM
Amethyste

Coalport wrote:

"In 1930, conductor Leopold Stokowski made the mistake of introducing Maurice Martenot to Lev Termen in the misguided belief that the two engineer/inventors would immediately embrace one another, brainstorm together, and come up with something WONDERFUL. The two men spent several hours and afterward neither ever mentioned the encounter."

Perhaps jealousy and pride got in the way?

Posted: 8/30/2012 3:34:04 PM
J

Coalport wrote:

"Hi Jake,

Welcome to Theremin World. I presume you have bought yourself a theremin. May I ask, what make of instrument you decided to get? What kind of music would you like to be able to play on it? The futuristic "intonarumori" of Luigi Russolo and Balilla Pratella, or the glorious romantic melodies of Puccini?"

Hi Peter!

First of all, congratulations for your music: some of the video you posted on YT are one of the reasons that attract me to the theremin. I bought a moog etherwave plus...About the second question, I must confess I am a bit unconfortable in answering before facing with my real possibilities  as a wannabe thereminist (at the moment the instrument has yet to arrive!) :) Anyway, if/when possible, I would like to concentrate on some of my favourite authors (Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert) and, hopefully, also on something danceble from South America (especially Piazzolla - in my most optimistic dreams, of course). Let's wait and see...

In spite of my roots, at the moment I'm not planning to learn to play anything from any italian composer :)

Posted: 8/30/2012 8:13:08 PM
Amethyste

Jake ~

I also was inspired by Peter's videos to play the theremin... It's been a little over a year now and I couldn't think about not playing anymore. I am having a lot of fun. I hope you will too!

Posted: 8/30/2012 8:29:27 PM
AlKhwarizmi

Same here. Those videos have clearly done a lot for thereminization!

Good luck with the theremin, Jake - and don't rule out Italian composers too soon... "Gabriel's Oboe" or the main theme from "Once Upon a Time in the West" by Ennio Morricone can sound gorgeous on the theremin.

Posted: 8/31/2012 12:29:00 PM
coalport

Jake: I would like to concentrate on some of my favourite authors (Bach, Beethoven, Chopin and Schubert)

Jake,

You will find much in the works of Franz Schubert that can be transcribed for theremin but the same cannot be said for Bach, Beethoven or Chopin. 

The theremin is an extremely limited instrument. The few things that it can do in the hands of a skilled player it does magnificently but when pushed too far the inherent flaws in the space control concept become obvious even to the most unsophisticated listener.

The music of Bach, and most of the music of the baroque period, requires the ability to play connected notes, and staccato notes, accurately over large intervals (two things that are impossible to do consistently and precisely on a theremin). There are a few melodies that are possible (such as the so-called "AIR ON THE G STRING") but most of Bach's work is best avoided by thereminists.

Beethoven, as undeniably brilliant as he was, is widely regarded by musicologists as a poor melodist. Schubert, by contrast, is considered one of the finest melodists who ever lived. The theremin plays MELODY and there is little in the Beethoven repertoire that suits it. Samuel Hoffman recorded the MOONLIGHT SONATA but it doesn't really work because the melody, like so many other melodies of Beethoven, is a sort of "Johnny one-note" affair that depends entirely for its effect on the mood created by the shifting harmonies that are going on behind it. 

Chopin's work was created for the piano and regardless of how one feels about it, it contains some of the cleverest and most beautifully crafted keyboard masterpieces ever composed. You cannot even have a conversation about the development of the modern keyboard without some discussion of the astonishing contribution of Frederic Chopin. 

When you begin to transcribe Chopin's music for other instruments, you realize very quickly just how keyboard-dependent his compositions are for their extraordinary impact. Even the celebrated orchestral  transcription LES SYLPHIDES, by none other than Alexander Glazunov himself, lacks the inimitable charm of the original piano pieces it is based on.

Clara Rockmore recorded the C# Minor Nocturne and runs into trouble in the first bar where there is an extended, highly "chopinesque", half note trill that ends up sounding vaguely like IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE when played on the theremin.

Schubert is an untapped gold mine for the theremin.

Back in the late 90's (before the Levnet, when we communicated via alt.music.makers) someone wanted to purchase a theremin strictly for playing the Bach unaccompanied cello suites. In her musical imagination, this person could clearly hear the suites being played on the instrument and she was convinced she could learn to do it. I suggested that if that was all she wanted to play, she should learn the cello instead because it is far easier than the theremin and the suites cannot be played on the theremin anyway no matter how skilled you are. 

Prior to any real, practical experience with the theremin, people often overestimate what is possible and are absolutely convinced that if they only had an instrument they could do all sorts of things that are simply not possible. 

If these people are genuinely musical, once they start to play they quickly realize how misguided they were. If they are not musical, they join the ranks of the "Joe Theremins" of this world, who are great theremin virtuosos in the concert halls of their own imaginations.

Posted: 8/31/2012 4:07:37 PM
RS Theremin

AlKhwarizmi said: “Same here. Those videos have clearly done a lot for thereminization!”

Really?

I do not allow people that come to my house to view one of Coalport's video's or they walk away thinking there is something wrong with my theremin design, after they attempt to play it. LOL

Posted: 9/1/2012 5:30:16 AM
Amethyste

Not many people can truly make a theremin sing with their hands...

Posted: 9/1/2012 11:46:19 PM
coalport

The theremin does not actually sing. It is the THEREMINIST who sings. The song of the theremin is only a reflection of what is already fully formed in the musical imagination of the player. I think that's why Clara Rockmore said that playing the theremin takes great "attention to detail".

The instrument itself does nothing for you, so the slightest inflection has to be fully developed in the mind of the thereminist. With traditional instruments like pianos, guitars etc., some of the work is already done for you by the instrument maker. If you touch 'C' on a Steinway a whole set of highly sophisticated processes goes into motion.

With the theremin, you don't even know where 'C' is until you hear it, and by then it's too late!

Posted: 9/2/2012 2:32:25 AM
Praetorian

Greetings everyone! :)

I will preface this by admitting that for decades, I haven't cared much about playing a musical instrument after I gave up my alto sax and piano back in high school (feels like an eternity ago).  I don't really remember how I stumbled across the existence of the theremin, it was just one of those late nights browsing youtube and instead of ending up in the dark corner of youtube (you know, the place where you start finding videos that leave you scratching your head) I came across a concert being played by Thomas Grillo - and immediately fell in love with the enchanting sound of the instrument.  For several days, all I could think about was that music - and after watching more of his videos along with numerous other musicians I started debating purchasing one of my own.  It wasn't a hasty purchase, I mulled it over for a few weeks but in the end I had to accept that if something can latch on to me that fiercely then it would be a disservice to myself to at least not explore the idea of playing it myself.

Granted, I am probably the least likely sort of individual to be considered any type of musician since I have been employed in the railroad construction industry for a long time - not really a 'field' that inspires much in the way of musical creativity. :)  Perhaps focusing a bit on playing the theremin will grant a slice of sophistication and class to what is otherwise a manual-labor lifestyle.

I just purchased a B3 Deluxe model, and a 'mini-amp' to go with it for purposes of practicing.  I chose the B3 Deluxe primarily  because it seemed like a solid instrument with a more beginner-friendly price, yet capable of producing exceptional music in skilled hands (the 30 minute youtube concert of Thomas Grillo playing the same B3 model specifically had a large part in my purchase choice).  I picked up the small amp at a local music store - a Vox brand amPlug powered speaker cabinet.  Unfortunately, I haven't quite gotten it to work for me at all.  Power is fine to the instrument (I presume), but when I plug the line from the theremin to the 'guitar in' port, it does nothing regardless of what I tweak on the theremin dials.  I am suspicious that the 'amplug in' port on top of the unit might be where the actual attached amp goes, and that what they sold me was JUST the speaker unit or something odd like that.  I will have to puzzle over it and figure out where I went wrong. :)

I was going to buy a headset and possibly an adaptor to upscale the plug from 1/4 and JUST use that if all else failed, but I read somewhere on these forums that plugging a headset directly into a B3 can damage it?  After reading that, I am hesitant.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.