Roll Call - 2012

Posted: 10/5/2012 10:47:01 PM
yagiawa

Hi Y'all,

Been a theremin fan for a long time. I play horribly but love and respect the instrument and the players (of all calibers).  I have an Etherwave Pro (#52!; its capabilities scare me...), Wavefront Technologies briefcase, and Etherwave Plus, graciously breathed upon by Thomas Grillo when he installed my pitch chip. One day I will do right by these instruments :)

Posted: 10/6/2012 9:23:45 PM
RoyP

Hi yagiawa,

welcome to the Wonderful World of the Theremin!

That sure is a hum-dinger selection of theremins you have to be playing with. I'd suggest you flip a coin and choose one and get making some sounds:-)

Roy

Posted: 10/7/2012 2:54:57 PM
yagiawa

Hi yagiawa,

welcome to the Wonderful World of the Theremin!

That sure is a hum-dinger selection of theremins you have to be playing with. I'd suggest you flip a coin and choose one and get making some sounds:-)

Roy

Hi Roy,Thanks!  Making "sounds" is no problem :) Getting to the next level is my immediate goal.

Sometimes I just pull out the 'Pro" to just look at its beautiful shape and its sonic possibilities...

yagiawa

Posted: 10/30/2012 8:58:47 PM
jurgen

Hi, I am new here.

Sorry for my bad English. It is not my native language. I'm from Holland (and dyslectic).

I knew always there was a special instrument but could not place it what it was. I heard it once on the song "good vibrration" (o.k. that's not a real theremin). Finaly I saw a DIY theremin on a website and from that moment I knew that I want a Theremin.

After months watching youtube and websites I saw abbout two weeks ago a Theremin "walk in day" in the neigberhood, where I could try a theremin. There I ordered finily my first theremin, a standard Moog Etherwave Kit.

I build it and try to play music on it, but it needs a lot of practice. I now try the songs from the movie "the sound of music" becource the are not too hard to play and a funny way to practice practice scales.

He is now temporarily disassembled and I just painted him black and is now drying. The paint shop has done his best to find black paint without carbon or graphite.

I think I have to finetune him once. I have the feeling the space between the high notes are smaller than between the low notes. But first I need to figer out what is the best way to do this.

Posted: 11/2/2012 12:59:01 PM
jurgen

Problem here after painting my theremin.

The volume is lower and he keep playing a tone. After some tuning I get the volume right but have a very small range to play.

I think there was carbon in the paint. I go back to the paint store that has informed me wrong to see what he can do. I'm affraid I have to buy a new case.

Posted: 11/2/2012 3:48:57 PM
Chobbs

no, you dont need a new case- you just need to retune your EW theremin.    Look around... the procedure is pretty well documented.  

First-check that all the antenna wires are making good contact.

Posted: 11/3/2012 9:31:45 PM
jurgen

Thanks, I re tuned my EW theremin by turning the coils 1/12 turn up or down, replaced the cover and listen if it's better. Now my theremin is playable.

There are different posts on this forum for tuning so I picked a little here and there. I'm not yet quite good in finding what I'm looking for on this forum, I think I have overlooked the best method.

What is a good procedure to tune? I have measuring instruments at work such as an oscilloscope and a frequency counter.

Posted: 11/3/2012 9:56:07 PM
Thierry

jurgen, tuning instructions are given (and discussed) in this thread:

http://www.thereminworld.com/Forums/T/28555/etherwave-standard-module-installation?Page=0

Posted: 11/24/2012 6:00:38 PM
caitlinsmith

Hello! New to this as well, my theremin is on the way to my loving arms and I have been doing a lot of research on the instrument before it arrives to it's new home. I am hopeful that this site will help me on my journey to mastering my new instrument! I was inspired to play by Yvonne Lambert of the Octopus Project from Austin, Texas. Anyways, catching on at the end of 2012 but still in time to say hello.

I appreciate this site!

Best regards from Oklahoma!

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:40:04 PM
Amethyste

Nice to meet you Caitlin! Will you play experimental theremin like Yvonne or play precision theremin?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.