Theremin and jazz?

Posted: 5/19/2012 10:54:14 AM
Amethyste

Any instrument that requires me to play more than 2 notes at a time is death. I simply cannot do it!

Posted: 5/19/2012 4:05:49 PM
SewerPipe

LOL, No more gum chewing while working with the Theremin. :-)

IHS --- Dana

Posted: 5/19/2012 8:59:07 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"So, the theremin is a "doddle" by comparison is it?Ever since the instrument was invented there have been those who have confidently made this claim, and RCA stated in its brochures that it is as easy to play as humming or whistling a tune. " - Coalport.

Oh, dont get me wrong! - Not saying its a doodle - just that, FOR ME, its a doodle COMPARED to a fretted instrument.. I find keyboards, wind instruments, digaridoo, xylophone, drums, and - well, everything, easier than any instrument which has more than one [exposed] string!

(its ok if the strings are 'activated' by a keyboard or some other mechanism - and I get on ok with single-string tea-box bass!)

Apart from multi-stringed instruments where one must actually 'tune' the string/s by controlling its effective length / resonance with ones finger/s , I find most  instruments easier to play than the theremin.

Bye..

Posted: 5/19/2012 10:11:00 PM
RS Theremin

Fred welcome back, I have been lighting candles and incense all day.

You said: "He just looked at me and said something like "I can play any instrument I touch, its no big deal" and that he was traveling the world and had no interest in focusing on anything."

Occam’s razor: In science, it is getting rid of all the assumptions that make no difference to the predictions of the hypothesis. If you have a few hypotheses that could explain an observation, it is usually best to start with the simplest one.

Fred I was pulling your leg as I still am, been playing ten years! (-'

Posted: 5/20/2012 10:25:41 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Thanks for the candles and incense! ;-)

I expected the meds I must take before going into hospital tomorrow to be a lot worse than they were, and to make me incapable of anything... But it was ok (perhaps the candles...)

From 2pm today I start the really hard stuff (laxatives to prepare me for my internal exam - ugh) so doubt you will see me here after that !

Then I go to hospital tomorow morning for the investigations, and have been warned to expect to be kept as an in patient.. Mixed feelings about that - I want them to get to the bottom of the problems, but admit to being fearful about what they may find. If they find what they suspect, its likely to be bad news - if they dont then I still have no answers about whats causing my chronic anemia and other chemistry problems.

Fred.

Posted: 5/20/2012 5:14:03 PM
mollydad

@ FredM...You don't know me, but I just got out of 2 weeks in the Vanderbilt University neuro ICU, and am currently on 4 weeks of follow up IV antibiotics, following a cranial bleed and a hospital acquired Staph infection.  I GET IT about being fearful of hospital, but I am also grateful that as a result of this incident  I have been given a second chance to live, love, and make music...I hope and pray that things will go well for you and that as a result of your time in hospital you too may get a second chance to feel better and continue with your creative projects...sincerely, john neff AKA Mollydad....

Posted: 5/20/2012 7:01:23 PM
coalport

Well Fred, for what it's worth, you will be in our thoughts. Be strong, and good luck with whatever comes. 

Mollydad! You've been on quite a roller coaster ride. Welcome back.

Posted: 5/20/2012 7:57:26 PM
mollydad

@ coalport:  Thanks....I had a lot of time to think about things in the ICU, and I missed all of you guys terribly....It's good to be back...My doc OK'd me to practice theremin during rehab, but no wind instruments...I have a lot of love for the theremin community, and I can't stand the thought of bad things happening to any of you...j

Posted: 5/21/2012 4:33:25 PM
AlKhwarizmi

With the dan bau, I find it very difficult to play not only a simple melody, but even a single (clean) note.

Posted: 5/21/2012 5:09:59 PM
RS Theremin

AlKhwarizmi, you "startled me" with the dan bau or often called dan tranh.

There was a time I enjoyed these instruments as the players voice and singing were almost indistinguishable from the sound of the instrument. It was musician Cao Van Lau a master and his dan bau, in the first half of the twentieth century who played exceptional and became known as the father of Cia Luong music, adopted as the official music of Vietnam. Too often the music expresses sadness about the wars. He was a roaming musician who today is a legend, but then a celebrity, playing weddings and festivals, leaving his family behind to pursue his dream. He passed away poor, right after the war ended. I am still in touch with his family and no one in the family has followed in grandfathers footsteps. They know of my theremin research but no takers yet!

Christopher

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.