Massive Solar Flare Coming, It Could Affect Theremins.

Posted: 3/7/2012 5:54:57 PM
RS Theremin

AP News release

I have often mentioned that I am most creative when my theremin is producing a low frequency drone in the background. A solar flare of great magnitude is heading our way that could knock out transmission lines and satellites and it just might be detectable with a theremin in some unusual way. Leave your theremin on droning a tone over the next few days and see what happens, this is more scientific than people with EM meters chasing ghosts! I hope you report back.

Christopher

Posted: 3/11/2012 1:43:34 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"could knock out transmission lines and satellites"

In which case, probably best to wrap your theremin in aluminium foil and make sure this is correctly grounded! (as an extra precaution, you could also place it in a deep hole to protect it from falling satellites).

Hi Christopher..

Joking aside, the real problem with the experiment you suggest is that, having a large number of theremins droning continuously, one may end up with problems.. you may even end up with a load of EMM wielding ghost hunters invading your property..

Yes - there is a big solar flare - but we have had these before many years ago (the sun has been extremely quiet over the last few years - so quiet that there was some speculation that major changes had occurred to the sun, and that flares may be a thing of the past.. There were some doomy predictions about what this might mean..)

With all the dramatic predictions of impending disasters we have had over the last 12 years, I am inclined to think this flare is just another "wolf" which turns out to be a mouse..

All good for keeping our attention off the real wolf pack (global warming / climate change) which is rapidly closing in on our village..

Fred.

Posted: 3/11/2012 2:36:18 AM
RS Theremin

FredM the Gladiator,

Good to hear from the grouchiest man at Theremin World, no wait.... you would be the second grouchiest, the other would be Hoffman's friend. The solar flare scare is all about diversion. I live on the back side of Camp Pendleton Marine base and the shelling and booming practice has been extraordinary the past month, they have something bigger than before. I have respect for our military but question some individuals, sad we even need warriors.

Edit: Fred I almost grasp your hypothesis about Luck, as many are called yet few are chosen. In sports as a child I sat on the bench. As I grew in knowledge I harnessed my luck, now I call it inspiration! A beautiful theremin voice does not come from a random accident or spice simulation as there are too many variables that almost prevent it from even existing. The key is knowledge and every predicament is simple once you have the answer.  You just have to find it... maybe with a little luck.

Don't worry about planet Earth, she can very well take care of herself. As the Stones said: Time is on her side!

Posted: 3/14/2012 10:57:38 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Don't worry about planet Earth, she can very well take care of herself. As the Stones said: Time is on her side!"

Oh, I fully agree with you here! - Planet Earth will be ok..

Humans, and complex life on planet earth... well - time is not on our side!

"the grouchiest man at Theremin World" - LOL!  ;-) Thanks Christopher - You made my day! ;-)

Oh - As for "I almost gasp at your hypothesis about luck".. Dont worry..

A couple of years ago I would not only have gasped, I would have cussed vehemently! - My whole paradigm was based on effort and responsibility, on "intuition", and on "rational thinking" - I believed that I was "self made", and that, when I failed, it was because I had not put the effort in, or had been neglectful.. Luck was a word I despised... And this caused me to have a hard, arrogant 'core'. To me, people who did not understand CHOSE not to understand - all the information required was easily available - I spent my time sweating over subjects which were difficult for me, untill I mastered them.. Those who tried to build (for example) Theremins but could not be bothered to even find out what capacitance was, were, too me, just lazy.

Being debilitated for nearly 2 years, and in this time trying to get pieces of my life to fit together (self-help books, counselling, life coaching - even meditation) brought me right back to hard science, and an unpalatable truth - There is NOTHING in this universe which has ever been seen to be counter-causal.. Everything is the result of preceding 'events' or 'stimuli' - In fact, if it wasnt for Hiezenberg's quantum uncertainty, Laplace would have been right - everything past, present and future would already be "written"... As it stands, there is debate about the effect of quantum uncertainty (Einstein did not like it, and stated "god does not play dice") but regardless of this, there is no observed (or imagined) mechanism by which any counter-causal event can occur.

Bottom line (for me, anyway) is that "free will" (and freedom in general) is a total illusion - An illusion which has been essential for human evolution, but an illusion none the less.

Studying the above, and all its ramifications, has replaced theremins as my major intelectual persuit - It is easier for me to do, as mostly involves reading and thinking, which I can do when I must have my legs elevated.

And I am about half way through writing a comprehensive book on the subject, probably to be titled "Positive determinism and effective living" which deals with the science, shows how determanism need not be fatalism, and deals with implications for society - criminology, religion etc..

But it all comes down to one shocking truth - Luck!  Everything we are is determined soley by how "lucky" we are - Oh, we can apply different criterion to define luck - But everything that we are is entirely, absolutely and completely what we have been "made" by the way the universe has "bumped" us into shape - We have absolutely no "right" to scorn others for what they are or how they behave, or to feel "superior" because of what we are.. Shuffle the luck, and you would be them, they would be you.

*We do "need" to behave as if people are responsible for their badness, we do need to "live the lie" of freedom, because our behaviour acts as a force which plays into the equations... But the truth is that a vile criminal is an extremely unlucky individual, regardless of whether they are caught or not.

Posted: 3/15/2012 1:07:50 AM
RS Theremin

Fred said: Bottom line (for me, anyway) is that "free will" (and freedom in general) is a total illusion - An illusion which has been essential for human evolution, but an illusion none the less.

No Fred we are not free, it is all about money. I laugh because you have an understanding that all may be an illusion. I received this enlightenment from Māyā who once protected me in the other-world. That is another story.

Posted: 3/19/2012 7:58:07 AM
Thierry

Did a quick check yesterday: All my theremins and those which are actually in my atelier for repair seem to be ok and not affected by solar flare! :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.