Lighting up the diamond speaker! :)

Posted: 4/1/2012 9:17:45 PM
GordonC

Yup, there would be technical issues with a live performance, no doubt about that. Specifically interference between theremins, and the difficulty of the players in distinguishing one theremin from another. 

With regards to interference - was the arrangement of the theremins in Lev's performance really as I have seen it in photographs, with them crowded into a tiny area, right next to each other? That was doomed from the start. I believe this was not such an issue at the Disney recreation - there was sufficient space between the players.

I am sure there are more ways to minimise interference than distance alone, such as assuring that the instruments do not share a common earth, and putting metal mesh walls between players. I also suspect that electronically synchronising the fixed oscillators of similar instruments would be of benefit, but that's just guesswork on my part. 

I have been told, and was not surprised to learn, that players were having trouble distinguishing one instrument from another. Here I note that the Matryomin orchestra does not seem to experience this problem. Maybe it's as simple as headphones. I suspect that until someone tries that, we won't know for sure.

Outside of live performance, overdubbing would be the simplest way to create a recording. The piece does not strike me as relying so much on the dynamic interplay between performers found in more traditional musical forms. 

Posted: 4/2/2012 5:15:45 AM
invisiblejelly

The theremin doll thing Gordon might be better played in a group than a regular theremin because of the antenna...see the picture above...the antenna, only one because it's a pitch theremin appears to be a flat plate, the unetched part of the circuit board sticking up..but it also seems to have a loop of thick wire there so this type of antenna might minimize interference..just a thought.

Posted: 4/3/2012 1:34:54 AM
Thomas Grillo

Oh, sorry to interupt, and sound like a bit of a pitchman for Burns Theremins again, but, as Gordon can testify, there was indeed a handheld pitch & volume theremin which was brought to HO2011. I now have that instrument, well, will have again after repairs are completed by Burns after I pulled a wire while replacing a battery. With regards to the above, that theremin would likely be the best theremin for a chorus of thereminists to play in close quarters, as it has the ability to control volume with it's internal volume antenna, and would likely not interfere with others as much as full size theremins would.

Posted: 4/3/2012 10:12:52 AM
invisiblejelly

Hello Thomas I thought of making a hand held pitch and volume theremin but the only way I thought it might be done was with some kind of light based volume control that one might do with the hand that held the theremin some how.Another way would be to have a volume control pedal between the amp and the theremin.How then did Mr Burns put a volume and pitch antenna in a small hand held theremin?

Posted: 4/15/2012 2:58:55 AM
Thomas Grillo

@invisiblejelly Hi, sorry to be so long in responding. Was doing some more work on the speaker, and rehearsing for an upcoming gig here. Yeh, the handheld pitch and volume theremin Dan came out with shortly prior to HO2011, has a true capacitive volume antenna taucked away inside the theremin near one of the walls of the theremin. You control the volume antenna with one or two fingers of the same hand that's holding the theremin, while the pitch hand works the pitch rod. Looks like that idea Carport888 had for a marching band of thereminists is a step closer to being realized. :)

Posted: 4/15/2012 11:12:59 PM
invisiblejelly

Thankyou Thomas for your reply you are an inspiration to all us wouldbe thereminists.A marching band of theremin players!.. that would be so funny and would probably an awesome sight and sound.Love your diamond speaker and are looking forward to your gig.

Posted: 4/16/2012 10:18:55 PM
Thomas Grillo

@invisiblejelly Thanks for the kind words. ;) I've added some detail to the speaker which gives it a much more formal appearance. The corners now sport deep red 4" squares with ebossed wood embellishments that I painted gold. I attached the squares to structure using fancy cabinet doorknobs. Still have some work to do. I'm also looking forward to the gig. They're telling me that the playing time for me is still being worked out, but as soon as I have an exact time, I'll edit the event announcement. :)

Posted: 4/17/2012 9:12:52 AM
invisiblejelly

Wow it sounds great Thomas I gotta make me a diamond speaker one day with all the embellishments.I hope your gonna play 'Ghost Riders in the Sky' some time as this is actually a good theremin piece....below is me, still learning, but attempting to play a little of it. 

http://soundcloud.com/invisiblejelly/ghost-riders

Posted: 4/17/2012 1:27:45 PM
Thomas Grillo

You really should build one. :) I just checked out your short rendition. Yeh, I always liked that tune when I was a kid. If I can get a mechanical license, I'll certainly perform it.

Posted: 4/18/2012 4:38:23 AM
Thomas Grillo

As mentioned, I added 4" red squares with brass detailing. You can enjoy a glimps at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thereminist-thomasgrillo/7089446435/ 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.