Mini tube amp vs Moog TB-15

Posted: 4/1/2012 7:17:21 AM
jerryp8472

I am new to the theremin (and music in general.) I have a Burns B3. I will be using headphones pretty much any time I use it. Would I be better off buying the TB-15 or a mini tube amp such as the one at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TGDB9Q?ie=UTF8&tag=tubeamplrevi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001TGDB9Q

and using a good pair of headphones?

Thanks

Posted: 4/1/2012 1:38:11 PM
Thierry

Playing with headphones is a bad idea. The headphones cable which is shielded and thus grounded will move around in the pitch field and cause trouble.

The Moog TB-15 is a small cheap Chinese guitar amp which has been relabeled by Moog und thus not an optimal solution. The tube amp which you found on amazon is a stereo version while the theremin has a mono output. Thus you would need an Y-signal-splitter in order to use both (weak 2.5W) channels.

The best setup is to have a speaker behing you at ear's height. An active monitor speaker like the Yamaha MSP3 mounted on a microphone stand (a special mounting flange is available as an accessory from Yamaha) is a small but fine solution for theremin beginners and semi-professionals.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.