Let's Design and Build a (mostly) Digital Theremin!

Posted: 7/1/2021 2:34:17 AM
dewster

D-Lev Librarian Posted (d-lib)

"Just out of curiosity, do you have a quick manual for D-lib.exe?"  - Mr_Dham

I don't, but the librarian software has been updated and posted, and the help file now has some typical examples:

https://d-lev.com/support/d-lib_2021-06-30.zip

It has executables for Windows and Linux, and the help file is just a text file you can read either inside the librarian (type "help") or outside with a text editor.

The librarian is rather weird as I made it for a weird person (myself).  I really should give it a proper GUI and a manual, but it's been doing what it needs to do OK (so far).  Let me know what you think of it.  All the C++ code is there if you want to compile it yourself or otherwise mess with it, I use Geany: https://www.geany.org/

Posted: 7/1/2021 7:48:03 AM
Buggins

Roger's Patsy Cline preset from the settings in his video

Wow! Really nice sound!

Posted: 7/1/2021 6:38:24 PM
Mr_Dham

It has executables for Windows and Linux, and the help file is just a text file you can read either inside the librarian (type "help") or outside with a text editor.

Why didn't I see it... Anyway, I got it now. Thanks !

My initial goal was just to play with it, explore the setting files, compare with the sound samples... in anticipation of having the real thing.

But Ok, I'll try to get a more in-depth view...

Posted: 7/1/2021 9:53:04 PM
dewster

"Why didn't I see it..."  - Mr_Dham

Because I just posted it for the first time! ;-)

"My initial goal was just to play with it, explore the setting files, compare with the sound samples... in anticipation of having the real thing."

There are a couple of presets in there but not all because I want to work on them a bit before I release them.  I'll email you a zip file of all my presets.

Posted: 7/3/2021 4:22:15 AM
dewster

I just did a little housekeeping on the D-Lev website: https://d-lev.com/

Updated the logo (thanks Roger!), added a link to Roger's video (thanks Roger!), and the P3 build on his web site (thanks Roger!).  Also added a few audio clips, but nothing new to those who follow this thread.

Finally sent off my Gerber baby files to get fabbed at JLCPCB - wow their whole process is quite slick!  International postage will eat you alive (why is that?) but the boards are cheap.  I bit the bullet and ordered all 10 sets with the fastest shipping - in for a dime, in for 72 dollars.

Posted: 7/3/2021 4:12:49 PM
pitts8rh

I think that in the context of the inexpensive boards the shipping seems terrible.  But when you watch the
DHL tracking once the boards get out of China and to the US practically overnight, it doesn't seem bad at all.  I just paid $39 shipping for a few 1' x 2' acrylic sheets from right here in the US.  To get what you get from JLC for that total price is an absolute bargain.  Just don't look at how the cost is distributed.

Posted: 7/3/2021 10:38:02 PM
dewster

" To get what you get from JLC for that total price is an absolute bargain.  Just don't look at how the cost is distributed."  - pitts8rh

Oh I agree that the sum total is totally worth it!  But I would prefer more of it go to JLCPCB and less to DHL et al. largely over import / export technicalities (BS):

Merchandise Total: $35.90
Shipping Charge: $35.48
Order Total: $71.38

[EDIT] JLCPBC gives hyper detailed feedback of where your boards are in production, which I really appreciate:

Posted: 7/6/2021 1:36:01 PM
Mr_Dham

I played with D-Lib for a time.

Let's take this tool for what it is : a command line oriented tool, mainly purposed for online (connected to device) mode but having some offline capabilities to handle and view setting files.

Sure, my experience is currently limited to offline mode but hereafter are some thought:

It is not instantaneoulsy clear that it is a command line tool, Maybe put ">" at begining of command prompt in F1 F2 F3 screens to invite user for a command.

Once understood the command line aspect, the most surprising is the RPN style syntax (operand before operator). Anyway I like it, I always prefered RPN calculators. So I tend to put myself in the weird person category too ;-)

"Freq" parameter have a step diffrent to 1, the number entered is not the one displayed. Could be nice to be able to enter the frequency directly with rounding to closest step.

F3 is mainly online purposed, correct ?
Can we edit / view BNK files in the tool ? (Anyway, I could open bnk file with text editor)

Posted: 7/7/2021 3:24:57 PM
dewster

"It is not instantaneoulsy clear that it is a command line tool, Maybe put ">" at begining of command prompt in F1 F2 F3 screens to invite user for a command."  - Mr_Dham

Good suggestion!  I had that at one point and it kept fighting me so I got rid of it.  It's too bad I can't use the command line behavior in the console directly, I had to replicate everything including auto complete, line editing, command history, etc.

"Once understood the command line aspect, the most surprising is the RPN style syntax (operand before operator). Anyway I like it, I always prefered RPN calculators. So I tend to put myself in the weird person category too ;-)"

There's no difference between any white space, so once a command is recognized as the last thing, even if you just type a space (or tab, or enter) after it, it will try to execute.

""Freq" parameter have a step diffrent to 1, the number entered is not the one displayed. Could be nice to be able to enter the frequency directly with rounding to closest step."

Ah, another good suggestion - and I implemented it!

https://d-lev.com/support/d-lib_2021-07-07.zip

Also updated the quick reference guide (extended the range of ACAL Wait to 99, or 9.9 seconds).

"F3 is mainly online purposed, correct ?"

Yes.  It matches up preset file names with preset file data and slot data.  You have to give it a range of slots to work over, and those preset files need to be in the current working directory (you can change to other directories via: [dir] cd command - also confusingly RPN! - gets me every time).

"Can we edit / view BNK files in the tool ? (Anyway, I could open bnk file with text editor)"

No, I figure folks have their own favorite text editor, so no point in my replicating that.  The librarian is rather bare bones, and I didn't entirely intend for it to be seen by the public, but it is up to the jobs at hand I think.  And all my C++ code is there should anyone want to attempt a proper cross-platform GUI version (I may at some point).  I'd be particularly interested to hear from any folks out there who use an Apple to see if the Linux compile works for them.

Posted: 7/7/2021 8:38:18 PM
dewster

Last Noel

Roger's Patsy Cline preset continues to amaze me with its nuance and dynamics: https://d-lev.com/audio/2021-07-07_last_noel.mp3

The Theremin was totally 100% made for female vocals!  It's too bad the EH Talking Machine only does male formants.

(BTW that's a great song for beginners, a lot of just stepping forward and back through the scale - here A flat major).

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.