Best sounding Theremin question

Posted: 7/10/2012 11:41:56 PM
ChrisC

Wow, as a real beginner who is just playin' about with the sounds produced by a No1derland theremin (via a G1XNext 'Zoom' effects pedal box and Marsall amp) and making weird sounds over the last month I have to say I find all this in-depth talk fascinating if rather 'over-my-head'. I do love the sound a theremin produces and wave my hand about in kiddy-like joy, but can see this getting more serious. The 'other half' says when I go on about having some TT (Theremin Therapy as I call my time with it) that I should shut the door while playin' with my Meow Box. By that she means it sounds like a strangled cat!!! Nice encouragement eh? Keep up the discussions please. It all adds to the background knowledge that helps us 'outsiders' maybe progress. I can see a Etherwave STD or Plus becoming a family member soon............... hopefully!

PS. By the way Amethyste, Gordon C directed me to view some of your playing. Life is now different!!!!! Thanks.

Posted: 7/11/2012 4:20:58 AM
w0ttm

I machined a mount that lets me put my Kustom on a camera tripod.

The old beast is well balanced, but quite heavy, so I chose not to use a mic stand.

Posted: 7/11/2012 9:05:00 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"The 'other half' says when I go on about having some TT (Theremin Therapy as I call my time with it) that I should shut the door while playin' with my Meow Box." - ChrisC

You want to go to Lydia Kavina's next class! Yes you do! - They are usually in Oxford, and are, well, inspiring is too small a word.. If you are just starting to 'bite' I think Lydia will manage to get you completely hooked - and you will be a slave to the theremin thereafter!

I am suffering severe withdrawl symptoms from not being able to attend these sessions for more than a year - I hope to get to the next one, whenever that happens.

Fred.

Posted: 7/11/2012 8:52:52 PM
ChrisC

Fred. Right up your technical street this.

Well I have been experimenting with aerial lengths etc lately to see what effect it has on the operating field 'depth'. Well I have certainly changed its 'field area' (probably not the right words.........) so I can get a larger area to operate in. Makes it easier to identify 'notes' as before my unit was very short range and a miniscule movement produced massive pitch changes. Just enjoying the experimental sounds right now !!!

Posted: 7/11/2012 10:53:46 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Chris,

I have no idea about the theremin you are using.. particularly, whether it has an antenna inductance to linearize its response. From what you say, I expect that it doesnt.

My guess is that you could possibly improve its performance by extending the antenna length.. One thing I have done in experiments (oooh - almost dont want to say this - I dont think Thierry is looking right now - so.. ) Put a hook in the ceiling, attach some thin hookup wire to this, pull this wire at an angle so that when you connect it to your theremin, your head is under the hook when your arm is stretched to the theremin.... Only trouble with this is that I am assuming your cieling is the same height as mine - LOL.. ;-)

Just play about - I suggest making the antenna about 1.2m long and probably a bit thinner than what you have at present..

Fred.

Posted: 7/11/2012 11:35:27 PM
ChrisC

Well Fred, my 'toy' is this No1derland unit. Sorry about the rushed picture quality, but you get the idea. I have doubled the aerial length over the standard one which was a solid aluminium rod. The large wooden knob on the top of the new length aerial I 'robbed' from the original short one! This rod is stainless steel. Do materials have an effect?

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/TheKRU251/DSCF8683.jpg

and

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/TheKRU251/DSCF8682.jpg

UK pound coin on top of case is for size reference only!!!!

Posted: 7/12/2012 12:17:15 AM
Amethyste

Chris wrote:

PS. By the way Amethyste, Gordon C directed me to view some of your playing. Life is now different!!!!! Thanks.

Huh... Um what? Really? I hope it is different in a good way! Gordon is pretty amazing himself (the Master of spooky woo woos!), I hope you checked his project "Beat Frequency"! Pretty cool stuff! I just do the boring kind... :)

Posted: 7/12/2012 12:48:56 AM
FredM

"Do materials have an effect?" - ChrisC

Chris, when it comes to theremins, one cannot say anything with certainty! - If you seriously asked "Does the phase of the moon have any effect" I would, 3 years ago, have laughed at your sillyness.. Now - well, im not so sure! ;-)

I heard a tale somewhere (not sure how true it is) That some thereminists were playing with a pitch antenna, and put an insulating sleeve or something like that over it - They all agreed that the tone quality (or something - I think it was tone quality) altered dramatically.. Apparently this was at some exhibit or whatever, and Bob Moog was nearbye - when he was asked about this effect, he apparently said it couldnt happen..

But, it can happen - Coupling of the antenna to internal circuits in the theremin can alter its tone (marginally) - and placing an extra dielectric over the antenna can reduce this coupling - highly unlikely - highly improbable - but, with theremins, well, expect the unlikely and fear the improbable! ;-)

But no - I see no reason why the antenna material (provided its metal and not latinum or radioactive) should affect the theremin or the player.

- With one other proviso.. Some metals have a greater thermal expansion than others - expand the antenna area, and you increase the capacitive coupling.. so this can contribute to thermal 'drift' I think, but unless one has extreme temperature change (I noticed drift on one of my H1 theremins when a spotlight was beaming onto its aluminium+steel antenna, which was getting quite hot, as it was covered in black sleeving) I doubt that it is of great significance.

Worst to best:           micrometre / metre / 1 degree K:

Zinc =29.7 ; Tin =23.4 ; Aluminium =22.2 ; Silver = 19.5 ; Brass =18.7 ; Bronze =18.0 ; Stainless Steel (304) = 17.3 ; Copper = 16.6 ; Stainless Steel (316) =16.0 ; Gold =14.2 ; Stainless Steel (310) =14.4 ; Nickel = 13.0 ; Pure Iron = 12.0 ; Stainless steel Ferritic (410) =9.9 ; Tungsten =4.3

Unfortunately, tungsten is too expensive, and a pig to work with! - So stainless steel 410 looks like the best metal for antennas - perhaps

Fred.

>> Just looking at those numbers, and doing some sums - I dont think thermal expansion of the antenna caused the drift on my H1, even with aluminium.. So I wonder if the heat radiating from the antenna possibly altered the dielectric properties of the surrounding air... Or, perhaps the spotlight was expanding!

Posted: 7/12/2012 3:17:49 PM
ChrisC

Chris wrote:

Huh... Um what? Really? I hope it is different in a good way! Gordon is pretty amazing himself (the Master of spooky woo woos!), I hope you checked his project "Beat Frequency"! Pretty cool stuff! I just do the boring kind... :)

Oh yes; a very POSITIVE way. Made me more keen to explore these devices; so really, thanks!!! Keep up the boring kind please.

Gordon waving knives around was different I thought. My better half thought that it was a sign he'd driven himself mad with 'that noise' and was about to 'top' himself. LOL. Sigh. She doesn't share my enthusiasm for the device. She says it must all be in the fact that the device gives off 'Theremones' (her play on the word pheremones as in having a desirable effect).

Posted: 7/12/2012 4:06:45 PM
Amethyste

Chris wrote:

"Oh yes; a very POSITIVE way. Made me more keen to explore these devices; so really, thanks!!! Keep up the boring kind please."

Gee thanks! *blush* :) Why don't you sen me a friends request on FB? Look for Amethyste Spardel. :) Looking forward to it :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.