Photo Albums feature added

Posted: 9/19/2012 4:36:41 AM
Jason

Thanks! Do they use TinyMCE as their editor?  I'll take a look...

Posted: 9/19/2012 11:01:50 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Keep your fingers crossed" - Jason

Yeah - its not too difficult playing the theremin with your fingers crossed.. but you ever tried playing a keyboard that way ?   ;-)

searching >> tinymce you tube << on Google returned loads of hits.. It seems there are widgets and code available, for example these :

http://www.tinymce.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26523

http://drupal.org/node/130267

http://www.binpress.com/app/tinymce-youtube-iframe-embed-plugin/667

It all looks quite simple, but some people do seem to have problems, and apparently iframe objects pose a security risk ?

Whatever - I am sure you have found all this stuff and know you are much better at sucking these particular eggs than I will ever be ;-).. but having found these, I couldn discard them - just in case.

Also, theres not much technical stuff going on in TW at the mo - and I am missing having my name filling the top 5 recent posts.. ROFLMAO ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 9/20/2012 1:56:57 PM
Jason

Thanks for the examples.  I'll probably get a chance to take a good look at it and the rest of the suggestions from this thread over the weekend.  I need to catch up on some "real" work for the rest of this week though :). 

Next up - I'm adding "open" photo albums, so multiple users can contribute photos to a single album.  I should have that ready to add over the weekend too.

Posted: 9/24/2012 5:28:42 PM
Jason

Added the YouTube plugin for our editor, and I made it a little larger.  Let me know if the changes are what you were hoping for.

Posted: 9/24/2012 8:33:14 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Yes! Just tested it on an old thread, and its great! No more copying / pasting links in a new tab for something not worth watching - can now stay at home in TW and watch the telly in the usual way - flipping the channels.. ;-)

Thank you Jason, and well done!

Fred.

Posted: 9/25/2012 2:22:40 PM
FredM

There is just one slight disadvantage to embedded you-tube widgets that I can see.. pages where you-tube is embedded do take longer to load.

Not sure how it works - sometimes the Moog Documentary page (which has 4 you-tube widgets) loads almost instantly, but sometimes it has a noticable delay.. do the widgets actually "contact" you-tube to load the image for each widget? .. If so, I suppose the speed will depend on internet traffic - particularly to you tube.

The above probably wont badly affect anyone with a fast PC and fast internet connection .. but its probably best to use this feature sparingly? (for the sake of those with slow PC / Connection) Or perhaps there could be a new 'forum' >>"Theremin on you-tube"<< or the like, where most you-tube widgets are placed, and people will know that those pages might be slower to load ?

Fred.

Posted: 9/25/2012 3:50:09 PM
Jason

They should load in the background via AJAX, but I could definitely see that it has an impact on page load speed.  I suspect most threads won't have videos, but let's see how usage of the feature evolves and then I can revisit the idea.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.