Where to try out a theremin in NYC?

Posted: 9/15/2012 1:55:19 PM
zyxhannah

Hi--

I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to test out a theremin in New York City. My family wants to know what it's like to play it, and we want to know more details.

Thanks!

Posted: 9/15/2012 7:05:54 PM
coalport

zyxhannah,

Why don't you phone around and ask some of the big dealers if they have a demo model. If they do, the chances are it's going to be a Moog Etherwave. Most of the smaller manufacturers deal directly with buyers and their instruments cannot be found in retail outlets.

When you do find theremins in music stores, they are often in dire need of regulation and adjustment but the store employees generally don't know any more about the instruments than the people who come it to try them.

As someone who does not yet know how to play the instrument, what are you expecting to learn from trying out a demo in a store? If you were going to learn the violin but did not know anything about it, do you think you could learn something by trying one out? 

You might be better advised to seek the personal advice of someone whose playing you admire rather than trying to figure it out for yourself. The theremin is the most difficult instrument that has ever been invented and if you try one out and are disappointed in your ability to play it, this could discourage you (and possibly your parents as well) from going any farther.

"People walk up to the theremin and think that they can just say, 'OPEN SESAME!' and it plays. It's not easy.... It's much harder than the violin, which I played for years." Thereminist Clara Rockmore

I don't want to sound discouraging but if you have heard the theremin and really LOVED it, then you need to decide to take the plunge. There is no one in the world who knows more about the theremin than the people right here in this forum.

Posted: 9/15/2012 10:00:45 PM
Amethyste

I totally know what Coalport is saying and I am also understanding where this young lady is coming from. It's a tought position to find yourself in. Coalport is right when he says that "trying" a theremin is not going to be that helpful, especially when it takes YEARS or even decades to be really proficient at it, so when you step in front of it for the first time, it is very intimidating. And yes, observe the playing style of many thereminists and i am certain that they wouldbe more than happy to help you answer any questions you may have.  :)

Posted: 9/15/2012 11:44:10 PM
Thomas Grillo

The New York Theremin Society would be a great place to start. Also, you might check out Moog Music's site for their dealer locator. I'm sure there's one in New York.

Links are: http://www.doritchrysler.com/ and www.moogmusic.com

Posted: 9/18/2012 4:52:36 PM
RSchwim

I've seen an Etherwave set up at Rogue Music. Been a while since I've been there. You might want to give them a ring... You can also give me a ring at 646 369 3341

220 W 30th Street  New York, NY 10001

(212) 629-5073

Here's a list from Moog Music

Posted: 9/18/2012 4:57:28 PM
RSchwim

BTW, if you and family want to see some theremins being played come to Joe's Pub on Thursday at 9:30. There'll be several players in different styles. It's listed here at Theremin World's home page under Upcoming Events

Posted: 9/19/2012 10:33:17 PM
zyxhannah

Okay, thank you so much!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.