A lesson in Maturity...

Posted: 9/26/2012 4:06:50 AM
Amethyste

This post is for many people who are deciding to take on their very own Theremin journey...

Over 16 months ago, I purchased this beautiful Wavefront Classic. I loved the sound of it but felt to me that it was unplayable. Very finicky linearity and pretty abrupt Volume response... I then started to look at other theremins (cause who can stop at 1?) and this wonderful man in Germany (Dominik Bednarz) built me a custom made (left handed) Subscope V-3 with which I fastly fell in love with. THe linearity is amazing, the volume response is dreamy... I made leaps and bounds in my learning with this theremin... It is THAT awesome.

A year went by, and my Wavefront was stored in the back of my room, sadly collecting dust. I kept looking at it everyday, but I didn't have the courage to get back to it and give it a second chance. I kept telling myself that the wavefront is pretty much useless. It had "problems" and I didn't really know how to fix them. I kept pushing and pushing.

Until tonight... I decided to fire it up and see what is up. After warming up for a bit, I decided to play with her for a moment and see if it "sucked" just as much as I remember it did over a year ago. I disliked it so, that I nicknamed it "Medusa" because everytime I played her, she gave me multiple headaches at once, each and evey time...

I didn't know that I was in for an arse whoppin' tonight!! Medusa taught me a good lesson: I WAS NOT READY BACK THEN. I just didn't have the skills to bring her voice to the level of where she can sing. She is beautiful, powerful and unforgiving... So she taught me. And it is a lesson that I'll never forget... A lesson about being full of yourself, when in truth, you will be a forever student. A lesson in humility, gracefulness and thankfulness... Try to be the best thereminist that I can be by playing my instrument with the heart that I have, while staying true to myself and allow my vulnerability to show through my movements.

Thank you for this lesson in life. I needed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBX17CkdosU

Posted: 9/26/2012 4:17:36 AM
Thomas Grillo

So say we all! :)

Posted: 9/26/2012 6:10:23 AM
SewerPipe

Amey; From here on you can only move "Forward", you can never go "Back". You have been "Invited", Respect, Respect, Respect.

In His Service ---- Dana

Posted: 9/26/2012 6:16:40 AM
w0ttm

"Medusa"

Most people are frightened of her. Repulsed by the very sight of her.

I've always felt pity for her, and thought that with love and understanding, she would not be evil.

I guess it's true. Your Medusa can sing like an angel with the right person to love her.

I saw Lydia play "What child is this" on a Graken mini. I can't do a decent job on that one with a good theremin, and she belted it out without a glitch on a toy. I think I see the same trend here.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You are on your way to greatness.

Posted: 9/26/2012 5:07:54 PM
dewster

Very nice Amethyste!

I have a question for you and anyone else out there that has a podium type Theremin: do you ever use the "music rest" part of it?

Posted: 9/26/2012 5:50:44 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Stunningly beautiful !

Posted: 9/26/2012 11:35:36 PM
Amethyste

Thank you Fred :) that is very kind of you :)

Posted: 9/26/2012 11:36:27 PM
Amethyste

Dewster wrote:

Very nice Amethyste!

I have a question for you and anyone else out there that has a podium type Theremin: do you ever use the "music rest" part of it?

Hmmmmm... I don't read music, so that is not a feature i use. I guess I could put some sheet music there to look smarter?

Posted: 9/27/2012 11:04:31 AM
coalport

Amey, I'm glad you have rediscovered your Wavefront Classic. Theremins have different musical "personalities" and they are uncompromising. As you acquire greater skill, you will be able to adapt automatically to the demands of the instrument you're playing, which will allow you to choose the particular theremin that best suits the music you want to perform. I have six theremins (including two RCA's) and in spite of major differences in range, linearity, configuration, etc., I can jump fairly easily from one to the other with the adaptability of a Borg drone.

About the music stand.....for those who can read music it is a handy memory jogger but attempting to sight read a composition with which you are not already familiar is not a good idea. I have seen many thereminists deliver performances where they appear to be relying on sheet music and the results are truly abysmal! 

The theremin is extremely difficult to play and to do it right you need to be over-prepared. You literally have to be able to play your piece in your sleep. If your concentration is divided between the act of playing and reading notes, you're going to screw up for sure.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.