Pumping

Posted: 10/23/2012 4:38:00 PM
coalport

I think what should be made very clear, is that I was commenting on your work from an entirely different level of taste and expectation than what I would apply to most thereminists. I think the yardstick needs to reflect the general level of musicianship and accomplishment of the player. As a thereminist's level of skill increases, the standards by which he or she is judged should rise as well.

Still, it's all a matter of personal opinion. If something is said in the course of it that is valuable and that helps you on your journey then it's worth something. Otherwise it's just idle chatter.

Posted: 10/23/2012 4:59:06 PM
Amethyste

Can I assume that you put your "pretty picky" hat on when you wrote these observations?

Posted: 10/23/2012 5:04:00 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"a drop of +/- 1 inch results in either total silence or total blast." - Amey

To me, that sounds totally hopeless - I suspect there is a faulty, or that a re-tune is required.. IMO, a 6" linear volume field is the minimum you need..

Have you contacted Wavefront? - it Might just need an adjustment of something simple - something you or someone a little bit technical could do without needing to send the theremin away.

Posted: 10/23/2012 5:13:31 PM
Amethyste

yes, I did. And Gene didn't seem too concerned or bothered by it. *smirk*

Posted: 10/23/2012 6:14:22 PM
dewster

"In fact, the only thing we have a really good view of is cleavage! "  - coalport

A Theremin "pumping" thread - with cleavage!  What more could anyone want, I ask?

(Apologies to coalport and Amethyste - in my defense I couldn't help myself!)

Posted: 10/23/2012 6:19:01 PM
Thomas Grillo

...and,,, cue the scary theremin.

Posted: 10/23/2012 6:27:45 PM
Amethyste

Lol Dewster ;)

Posted: 10/23/2012 11:09:31 PM
coalport

Amey: "Can I assume that you put your "pretty picky" hat on when you wrote these observations?"

Amey, I appraised your theremin performance with the same standards I would apply to a performance of my own.

I should add that I have NEVER been happy with any of my own theremin performances.....EVER!

Posted: 10/24/2012 12:28:48 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"yes, I did. And Gene didn't seem too concerned or bothered by it. *smirk*" - Amey

Well, having seen the demo by Gene of both the classic and the briefcase, these certainly look like they have a volume range of more than a couple of inches!

I havent embedded this you-tube clip, cause everything about this "demo" makes me shudder, and I am having the greatest difficulty restraining myself from saying some extremely rude about the demo and about any provider of high-end theremins who can be so dismissive of customers problems - I assure you that you are not the first person I have heard this sort of story from.. I debugged one of their Midi interfaces, and fixing it required replacing their cheap master oscillator with a modular crystal oscillator  costing £8 rather than the 32p the nasty little crystal they have fitted costs.

But the real issue to me was the total lack of interest in, or support for this customer... sort of (and this is paraphrased from what my client told me - I cannot vouch for it) "you got a tracking problem? what you trying to do? actually play the thing!? - ROFLMAO!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAH5-v3atg

Posted: 10/24/2012 12:50:10 AM
Amethyste

Really Fred? :( I am sad to hear this... I think he's not too concerned about my problem, because back then, I asked how much would it be to have a new one ($1,800) and decided to buy Dan M's used Wavefront instead, so probably he doesn't feel that I deserve the attention he would probably have given to someone who would have paid the full price. The thing is I love my wavefront, but i really don't want to ship the whole cabinet cause it is super heavy and will cost me at least $200.00 for shipping and that doesn't include the time I would need to pay the tech to fix its problem... I guess it makes it my problem :(

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.