Pumping

Posted: 10/24/2012 12:59:31 AM
Thomas Grillo

I've noticed the same problem with the volume response of the Travel Case, and got the same cold shoulder when contacting them about it. So, I don't perform with it. Although it has pitch preview, the response is way too snappy, and lacks dynamic range. Ether it's playing, or not. That being the case, I can't justify the $1800 price of the Classic. Pumping on the WF would be a lot like honking a horn. LOL

Posted: 10/24/2012 3:59:38 AM
w0ttm

"I guess it makes it my problem :( " Amey.

That's just sad, and a damn sorry way to run a business.

You get better treatment than that at Walmart.

I used to live in New England, Massachusetts to be exact, and I've been wanting to bring my bride back there to see the beautiful countryside, and absorb the buckets of American history to be found in that area.

If I do, I'll pack all my tools and test equipment (and theremin, guitars, etc.) and pay you a visit. 

Posted: 10/24/2012 5:14:11 AM
SewerPipe

I have seriously considered "gutting" my Wavefront, and putting a "Enigma" Theremin inside. Then not only would it "Look" nice, it would "Play" & "Sound" a lot Better. But first I need to design and build a "Volume Control" enclosure to complement the Wavefront Looks. Since I have had some time playing a Theremin with "Separate" Volume & Pitch enclosures, I don't care for the "One Unit" designs. This is all just my opinion and thoughts. Amey, I do hope you will be able to "Correct" the Volume problem as I have the same issue with it. I have not contacted Gene, so can't comment on his "Customer Service" policy.

IHS ---- Dana

Posted: 10/24/2012 5:26:19 AM
w0ttm

Dana, if you do gut it, I'd be interested in buying the innards.

Posted: 10/24/2012 7:44:49 AM
AlKhwarizmi

It's a real pity that a theremin with such a good timbre, that it has even been compared with the RCA in this very thread (although I think that's a bit of an overstatement) has such a limited volume control.

My EW also has a too snappy volume response IMHO (let's see when I can get over fear of the postal system and being a couple of weeks away from it, and send it to Thierry for his full service), but it's not a pro instrument and it cost like four times less... 

Posted: 10/24/2012 10:26:10 AM
coalport

Maybe some of you disappointed Wavefront owners could get together and share the cost of shipping one of them to Thierry Frenkel. Since the Wavefront is a Moog Etherwave clone, I imagine Thierry could figure out a quick solution to the volume response problem and perhaps create a module similar to the one he made for the E'Pro. This is certainly a better idea than scrapping your instruments (and losing your investment).

I'd be surprised if Thierry was not already familiar with the Wavefront innards but, gentleman that he is, I'd be equally surprised if he commented openly on the subject.

The late Dr. Bob did not patent the innovations he designed into his Etherwave theremin because the cost of a patent was simply too high ($10,000.00 at the time). Consequently there have been a number of rip-offs over the years by people who have taken Bob's basic idea, tweaked it in a couple of places, and then claimed that their circuitry is original.

Since most of us are totally ignorant of the electronic design principles involved we have no way of knowing what's what, but if you ask an engineer he will tell you the Wavefront theremin is essentially an Etherwave. This has never been a secret, although it has often been denied by Gene. And I'll tell you one more thing, Dr. Bob wasn't too happy about it! I was present for a short and rather abrupt private exchange between Dr. Bob and Gene at the Theremin Festival in Portland, Maine, back in '97. 

OUCH!

Posted: 10/24/2012 11:43:26 AM
Amethyste

Well, I investigated and to ship my wavefront to Thierry (that was over 1 1/2 year ago) was $195 one way and with no insurance added to the cost. 

i am going to be honest here... I totally respect Thierrys ability to fix theremins and I understand that this is a hobby for him but I cannot bear the thought to have my theremin away from me for 8-10 months. I have talked with other people who have sent their theremins to him and one girl took about 8 months to get hers back. I know most of you will think it is a small price to pay to have a working theremn and it makes total sense. Not sure it makes total sense to me yet...

Posted: 10/24/2012 1:38:58 PM
Thomas Grillo

I've noticed the visual similarity of the WF circuit board to that of the EW Standard. I guess that explains why the WF tends to sound a lot like the unmodified EW Std. I'm sure Thierry's work is well worth the wait. Given that I nolonger play the WF for technical reasons, and others, I could probably live with the long wait time. Frankly, it angers me to know that Gene is charging so much for an EW clone. I certainly can't justify the $1800 price of the Classic now that I know what's under the hood.

Posted: 10/24/2012 1:44:05 PM
Amethyste

I keep telling myself that I paid for the cabinet work *cringe*

Seriously though, i wouldn't have a problem to be away from my wavefront if i sent it away to Thierry. The thing I have a hard time with is the shipping, even padded and all that, i'd be devastated if it were to be dropped or crushed. Sending an etherwave is pretty much a fart in the wind compared to shipping this beast. It weighs A LOT!!! What I don't have to send (which are the legs) are the lightest of all of the components of this theremin. Even the power supply weighs about 6 lbs.

Posted: 10/24/2012 1:47:28 PM
Amethyste

W0ttm wrote: "If I do, I'll pack all my tools and test equipment (and theremin, guitars, etc.) and pay you a visit. "

That would  be lovely!!! I'd love that very much! I get to meet you and get an improved theremin? I am all in! :) When are you coming???

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.