Minty Fresh Moog Etherwave Pro for sale!

Posted: 11/25/2012 6:49:08 PM
Carpeteria

Hey everyone! We love our Etherwave Pro, but it's just not getting the use it should, and we know there are better homes out there for it, so we're putting up this super rare, mega awesome theremin for sale.

If you know the EWP, you know it's one of the best theremins ever made, put out by one of the greatest electronic music companies of all time. This is a rare item, and we we would rather sell it here than on ebay, so we know it will go in the hands of someone who will truly appreciate and love it as it deserves. 

We purchased it brand new in 2005, and since then, it has been an at-home use instrument only. It has sadly been in its original box/packing materials for a few years now, but it works as well as it did the day it was built, and it's in as mint condition as a semi-used item can possibly be in. There are some very small paint rubs on the back portion of the instrument (photos below) which could be touched up easily, and which obviously do not harm the instrument's functionality. The full instrument, stand, power cord, original shipping box/materials, and the included DVD are all up for grabs here.

Because this is a rare item, and because we want to get this in the best hands possible, we're happy to hear any reasonable offers. Buyer will assume all shipping/handling/insurance costs on top of the instrument price, and the theremin will be shipping from Sacramento, CA.

Serious inquiries only, please, sent to: locheltpatrick@comcast.net

Photos!

EWPconsolebackunderboxdvd

Closeup of the small paint rubs:

rubs

Thanks for reading!

Posted: 12/9/2012 4:47:31 PM
Carpeteria

Hello again - we've received a few offers, but we haven't been able to settle a deal just yet, so this EWP is still available for a new home.

We've been trying to discern what would be the best price for this instrument, since it is obviously quite rare, and others like it have sold for some very wildly varied prices over the last few years. Since ours is in well cared for condition, and it hasn't been used much at all, we're thinking a fair price would be $3,000, before shipping/handling costs. Based on prices we've seen run upwards of $6,000 and below $2,000, this seems like a fair offering, but we definitely do not want to gouge anyone unfairly. This really isn't about making a profit - our main concern is getting it into the hands of a musician who will give it a great home and who will care for it appropriately, at a fair price for both parties. Otherwise, we would just throw it on ebay with a huge reserve. I've been a musician myself for nearly my whole life, and I definitely know what it means to care for and appreciate a professional instrument like this. We just want to make sure it gets to a good owner.

We'd love to hear any thoughts from the community on whether this is a fair deal, and of course, we're happy to entertain or hear out other appropriate offers. Feel free to respond - thanks so much!

Posted: 12/9/2012 5:09:58 PM
Amethyste

Please email me at Etherealvocalist@gmail.com

We could maybe woprk something out. THank you :)

Posted: 12/9/2012 10:04:13 PM
coalport

Amey, 

If you can swing it, GET IT! The Moog E'Pro theremin is a fine instrument, with the LOW, MIDDLE, and HIGH register knob that is on the ETHERVOX theremins. You can easily install a pitch preview, and Thierry has a wonderful module for it if you find the volume control too snappy. 

Since you are now committed to the theremin, I think it would be worth the investment. 

Posted: 12/10/2012 5:57:00 AM
Jason

Seeing this makes the PowerBall loss sting even more.  I hope you get it Amey!!  I only got to play one of these for a short few days while I was reviewing it right when they came out... and I still remember the air actually feeling like butter. 

Posted: 12/10/2012 11:08:42 AM
Amethyste

I am left handed... i'd have to play it from behind. THe volume loop is also not in the right angle correct?

Posted: 12/10/2012 12:29:02 PM
coalport

If you were to play from behind, then the volume loop would be backwards (sloping away from you, rather than toward you) and of course you would not have ready access to the control panel.

When I got my E'Pro, although I was impressed with it technically, there were a number of things I didn't like about the look of it. The single pole stand was precarious and unstable, and the lovely bent birds eye maple front panel (the only attractive part of the instrument) could be seen only by the player! The back of the instrument - the part that faces the audience - was a flat black painted fake wood panel that made the theremin look suspiciously like a pay phone (as you can see from Carpeteria's pix above).

These are the kinds of things you can expect when instruments are designed by tekkies rather than by PLAYERS. Bob Moog had all sorts of problems with the E'Pro because he consulted Pamelia Kurstin after the fact! He didn't really want her advice or opinion. He wanted her endorsement. Everything was further complicated by the fact that poor Bob was becoming increasingly debilitated by the illness that finally killed him.

Ennyhoo, I proceeded to take my new E'Pro apart. I refinished the maple front, and replaced the crappy back and sides with matching maple panels. If I had wanted to, without too much trouble, I think I could have reversed the pitch and volume boards (along with the antennas that control them) and made a "leftie" E-Pro. 

I mention this because I don't think you should pass up an opportunity to get an E'Pro simply because it's not a "leftie". It can be adapted and, at the same time, IMPROVED. You wouldn't have to do it right away, and you could play it backwards until you have found someone to do the job. 

Posted: 12/10/2012 12:47:36 PM
Carpeteria

Coalport: I'd love to see your modifications to the EWP - I agree that the flat black body of the instrument isn't the prettiest thing to look at. I own a Little Phatty synth, and I've never really been a big fan of the back of it, either, though the brushed metal curve it has is definitely an improvement over the boxy EWP backing. Luckily, the sound and performance more than make up for its aesthetics. 

Posted: 12/10/2012 1:28:51 PM
Thierry

Améthyste contacted me already (on a different channel) about the lefty transformation and other mods. I told her too that playing it from behind was not at all an optimal solution but the back part of the housing needed more or less to be rebuilt. Fortunately the circuit boards need no major changes when the instrument is switched to lefty, but just retuning to compensate the effects of the changed wiring and the different antenna positions.

Posted: 12/10/2012 2:32:32 PM
Amethyste

Thierry, are you saying you wouldn't really need a back panel re-design to make it a leftie?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.