I want to buy a Theremin!

Posted: 11/28/2012 2:40:18 AM
argi

hello everyone! i'm new here and i loved that site!

I'm 22 years old and i decided to learn the theremin because i love that instrument for years!

It's going to be my fist time on playing music and i don't know a lot of things! i just use to listen a lot of music,most interested in electonica,indie pop,dream pop ect!

so i want your help,and my question is what theremin should i buy?

i like the moog etherwave but i don't know the differences between Plus and simple!

Thanx for the help,Ero

Posted: 11/30/2012 12:36:43 AM
nieradka

It is strongly recommended that you dont learn the theremin as a first instrument, it is far too difficult, and you need a good ear, it is going to be frustrating, with a very steep learning curve. Learn something else first, and learn some basic music theory. Even if you are just playing ambiently behind other instruments, such as for dream pop, you are still going to need to be roughly on key (which is more difficult than you will think.) if you arent going to have your future bandmates hate you. 

If you insist, the etherwave standard is a fine choice. The etherwave plus has cv-out and such for connecting to a synth or similar, which you probably wont need, and those features can be added on later to an etherwave standard with a kit. Save the money and buy another cheap instrument, it will be useful to at least figure out what you want to play, before trying it on the theremin. 

Scott

Posted: 12/1/2012 11:13:25 AM
coalport

Given his interest in electronica, indie pop etc., argi may not want to play "precision" theremin. If that is the case, then the fact that he knows little or nothing about music doesn't matter. 

When Clara Rockmore warned that the theremin should never be anyone's first instrument, she was referring to people whose ambition was to play the kind of music she played. For those who want to play avant garde, aleatoric/electronic, experimental, FX, etc., no formal knowledge of music or musical theory is necessary.

I am presuming that argi has two arms, and that he knows how to wave them in the air. That may be all he needs to play the theremin and make the kind of music he wants to make. 

If, however, he wants to play DAS LIED VON DER ERDE he's in for a shock.

"DAS wha.......?????"

Posted: 12/1/2012 1:50:46 PM
Amethyste

Coalport.... Ya killin' me! :)

Posted: 12/5/2012 7:31:55 AM
Neal1929

Thats theres Therenomics for ya!

I'd go for the sub scope like Amethyste here has.

Though I have not messed around with one her's sure sounds swell. It seems very compact as well. 

Yeah the theremin is really hard to play. Its so much fun though. I'm a bit of a hermit so its perfect for me. I get as much enjoyment putting them together as I do letting them speak. 

I just wish I spoke more Thereminese so the conversation wasn't so one sided all the time.

She's all like c.c.c.c.c.c. and Im ll like d.d.d.d.d.d.d. then its all tellin me e.e.e.e.e.e.e.e. and Im all like f.f.f.f.f.f.f.f.f. u.u.u.u.u.u.u.u. and then its al woooeeeeeeoooooeeeeeoooooeeeee. 

Its like Im speaking Thereamaic or somethin.

One of the days...  Oooo one of these days....

BANG! ZOOM! TO THE MOON!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.