Pekkanini plays "The Swan" on Pegna Theremin

Posted: 12/18/2012 10:02:39 AM
AlKhwarizmi

I know I'm not the only one who was interested in hearing what the Pegna theremin sounds like, since there are not many demos on its official website. So I thought I should share this link:

Pekkanini plays "The Swan" on Pegna Theremin

Posted: 12/18/2012 11:56:54 AM
RoyP

Thanks for posting that AlKhwarizmi: it's good to see the Pegna in action.

There is another piece played in the same venue by Pekkanini on the Pegna, presumably at the same time here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQKPy69ZeDM

Posted: 12/18/2012 12:52:00 PM
Amethyste

I just wish the tone was more pure... too much going on to really hear its core.

Posted: 12/18/2012 2:59:31 PM
RoyP

Yes, there is a fair amount going on sound-wise to assess it's tone. Being in a cavernous space with many relfective surfaces doesn't help either.

Hopefully there will be more soundclips/video clips to come!

R

Posted: 12/18/2012 4:57:55 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Not sure if its just the "cavernous space" - the sound is so muddy that I suspect some other processing has been applied.

Whatever - the "treatment" certainly does nothing which would make me remotely interested in having one of these instruments.. I am sure it must actually sound better than this (IMO) horrible demonstration.

Fred.

Posted: 12/18/2012 6:40:30 PM
RoyP

'Not sure if its just the "cavernous space" - the sound is so muddy that I suspect some other processing has been applied.' - Fred

My first thought on watching this clip was that there was some kind of delay or reverb applied because sometimes there seemed to be a lag between what the volume hand was doing and the volume.
If there was then along with the hall environment the sound might become more muddy than was wanted.

Just a guess.

It would be good if other clips of more neutral playing environments were available.

Roy

Posted: 12/19/2012 12:33:54 AM
coalport

I listened to THE SWAN, there's a kind of "whooshing" sound going on throughout the piece. Is that coming from the theremin or from some other source? It doesn't help that the whole thing sounds like it's being played at the bottom of an empty swimming pool.

Posted: 12/19/2012 1:53:33 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"It doesn't help that the whole thing sounds like it's being played at the bottom of an empty swimming pool." - Coalport

IMO, it sounds more like its being played at the bottom of a filled swimming pool!  ;-)

Posted: 12/19/2012 2:19:35 PM
Amethyste

... And I don't think that Pekkanini is masterful enough to demonstrate what this theremin can do.

*blink*

OMG... am I becoming like Peter??!

Posted: 12/19/2012 2:46:12 PM
FredM

"OMG... am I becoming like Peter??!"

Does the theremin Peterify you? ;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.