The Etherwave Cometh

Posted: 1/9/2013 9:09:16 PM
ShinyBeast

Received - this thing is freakin' awesome. I've been down in the basement making otherworldly squeals and sounds, occasionally stumbling into something mildly melodic before heading back into outer space. I plan to have fun with it foremost, but I am looking forward to learning how to actually play it with a musical approach.

One question - my PA seems to handle the sound well out of the left speaker but the right speaker is putting out very quiet audio.  I assume that is probably a bum cable or a bad speaker, but just curious if the theremin might have something to do with that, have some kind of affect on the stereo output.  I'll test it later with a mic.

Posted: 1/10/2013 1:11:47 AM
Jeff S

We'd have to know more about your set-up.  The Moog Etherwave is a monophonic sound source, so if you have it plugged into the left channel of a stereo pair that result would be expected.  I assume your PA has a mixer interface.  If it has an instrument input jack, that would be the input of choice.  Ideally, if the PA mixer doesn't have reverb, you should plug into the mono input of a stereo reverb/multi-effects unit and plug the stereo output to the PA mixer's stereo channel.  Add a little reverb and delay, and you'd be in heaven!

Posted: 1/10/2013 3:55:14 AM
ShinyBeast

Excellent Jeff - This is a 4-channel PA, each with a direct input and knobs for volume, delay, treble and bass.  There is also a master volume knob and a digital echo effects section with knobs for depth, time and delay volume.

I've only ever used the PA for vocals - I basically bought it years ago so I could sing along when I play electric - and I plugged the theremin into the first channel at far left, the same channel I usually use for voice. There is a dual-input on the rear of the unit labeled as an "effects loop," with distinct inputs for "send" and "return". maybe this rear effects input would work better? Would I use the send or return input?

Finally there is a typical stereo input on the back, i.e. red and white input connections you see on a typical home stereo amp. (there is a corresponding volume knob for this labeled as CD/Tape volume.)

I don't have mixing channels for L-R speaker output. Tomorrow I will try out the rear inputs and experiment with the effects from the master channel. The output sounds very good quality-wise, so it's fine for now, but the lack of balance between the two speakers is a little distracting.  Eventually I need to address it.

At worst, can you recommend a decent multi-effects unit with mono in/stereo out?

Posted: 1/10/2013 12:04:36 PM
coalport

The Lexicon MPX100

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/articles/lexicon.html

If you want high quality, professional, studio sound, try to avoid pedal FX and other gear designed specifically for guitars.

If your goal is to learn to play precision theremin (as opposed to FX & aleatoric music) try to avoid overusing effects. They tend to mask the things that you most need to hear when starting out.

"First have music in your soul. If you have THAT, you will find a way to do it." Clara Rockmore

Posted: 1/10/2013 3:18:32 PM
ShinyBeast

Thank you. I plugged the Etherwave into the Send input of the effects loop and I am getting pure and beautiful audio spread evenly across the two speakers now. This seems to be working great.

I would like to try adding some reverb. Would my footswitch for my Fender guitar amp work, or do you think I need to get a separate reverb box?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.