Keppinger theremin seeks new caring owner

Posted: 12/30/2012 11:37:10 PM
Chobbs

Hi folks, 

Sadly I have to part with my beautiful keppinger theremin.  I built it spring '11, I believe.  I am practically up to my elbows with theremins right now.  My tiny NYC apt can only handle one furniture-sized instrument and since I built the RCA replica, the Kep has been living at my (art) studio.     It hasnt been turned on in months and it deserves to get a new appreciative owner, someone willing to keep those tubes hot!    

Both the amp chassis and oscillator chassis are beautiful- very proud of my work here, and they are housed in an oak cabinet, approximately the size of an RCA.  I had to alter some of the dimensions to fit the keppinger chassis layout. 

Currently it is sans antenna coils-   I believe I had borrowed them for another project and never got to rewinding replacements.   I have all the stuff so I could get a new set ready anytime. -no sweat.

Interested? Make an offer!  I recon that it will be a pick-up transaction so if you are in the NY area please stop by and check it out.  My studio is at the Hunter College MFA building in Midtown.

hold on...Ill post photos in a bit! 

Posted: 12/30/2012 11:47:20 PM
Chobbs

Posted: 12/31/2012 1:54:56 AM
Amethyste

I would love it :)

Posted: 12/31/2012 5:18:22 AM
Thomas Grillo

I would have gladly adopted that theremin had I the funds to do so. Production gear is eating me alive here, though. Amethyste, if you don't get that E-Pro, then you really should try for that Keppinger theremin. I've played one in person at Ethermusic 2008. They sound warm, and lovely.

Posted: 12/31/2012 8:07:47 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Not Amey!

She'll cut its legs off!

LOL ;-)

(only joking Amey ;-)

Posted: 12/31/2012 12:44:13 PM
Amethyste

I already have a cabinet theremin... 2 would be a bit much?

Posted: 12/31/2012 2:52:47 PM
Chobbs

Well if you are interested- I'll cut the legs down for you.     that reminds me...

despite its large size, it is fairly easy to transport.  The cabinet is in two parts- I made it so the top separates (at the bead) leaving the legs and skirt.  Both halves easily fit in the back seat(or trunk) of a standard sedan.   Not too heavy either.   Like 1/3 of the weight of my RCA-oof!
Gigging would be reasonable.  

Posted: 12/31/2012 9:10:21 PM
Touchless

That would be a great gift to myself to start the New Year. If it is a drive up and pick up the distance could be an adventure. Before I make a private offer can you direct me to your YouTube video collection? It would look good in my Tombstone, AZ antique shop and maybe allow visitors to play it. (or make noise)

T

Posted: 12/31/2012 9:38:35 PM
Amethyste

I wish I had infinite money!!! :(

Posted: 12/31/2012 10:09:32 PM
Chobbs

It would look good in my Tombstone, AZ antique shop and maybe allow visitors to play it. (or make noise)

T

Ah...a business expense, I like it!      Unfortunately I dont have any theremin videos, online or otherwise.   (If  I spend new years day winding coils)I could probably get you a video by the end of the week.

Contact me @

charbot at gmail

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.