O' Brother ... Go To Sleep Little Baby

Posted: 2/24/2013 6:55:49 AM
Mizamook

Innocently listening to the local radio as I work, I heard the version of "Go to Sleep Little Baby" from the O' Brother Where Art Thou?" soundtrack. 

The thereminist in me caused me to cock my ear in the direction and focus my attention - yes, that IS a theremin floating around in the back there!  

Cool!

It became very obvious about 1:45 or so -this version is terrible.  Whatever-it's a great excuse to watch that film again!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK6Jb9_rpdg

Posted: 2/25/2013 10:52:14 PM
Jason

Are you certain?  I've always thought that was a musical saw.  I love the song, and I love that haunting howl in the middle.  A theremin could certainly work there!

Posted: 2/25/2013 10:55:49 PM
Mizamook

No - one thing I've learned is to never be certain....but it sounds like a theremin to me, mainly the really wonky vibrato in parts.

A little internet research indicates that it is theremin, although you know that I know that the Internet doesn't necessarily know either, except maybe for 42.

Posted: 2/26/2013 12:04:33 AM
coalport

Great film, great song! That's Emmylou Harris, singing with Alison Krauss and Gillian Welch. (Emmylou is a sweetie and sang backup vocals for me on my first album. We were both on Warner Bros. Records at the time). Oh, the stories I could tellya!

No, that is not a theremin on the recording. I'm not certain what it IS, but I am certain it is not a theremin. 

Posted: 2/26/2013 12:36:42 AM
Mizamook

"No, that is not a theremin on the recording. I'm not certain what it IS, but I am certain it is not a theremin." 

How can you be sure?  Have you heard the non-youtube version lately?  Sounds like a theremin to me...although it could be a saw, or pedal steel....

Interesting that the Wikipedia page does not list a theremin player.

It is probable that they did not want to use instruments that were not in existence at that time, but this film was set in the late 20's/early 30's, wasn't it?

Posted: 2/26/2013 3:13:02 PM
AlKhwarizmi

The vibrato sounds too fast and too irregular to be played by a human on a theremin... I would believe it was a theremin if they told me that the player was a robot :)

Posted: 1/6/2014 11:41:33 PM
TheIMUman

The vibrato sounds too fast and too irregular to be played by a human on a theremin... I would believe it was a theremin if they told me that the player was a robot :)

I need to get a grip because I've thought of using a robot to play a theremin.  Pray for me, please.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.