Wavefront Classic For Sale on eBay

Posted: 3/2/2013 7:58:50 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"I guess you're not bidding for it then Fred ? LOL"

Thats a safe bet!  ;-)  .. LOL

I have grave doubts about the £800 - But when it comes to that sort of thing, my opinion is probably less than worthless.

Fred.

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:20:45 AM
ChrisC

"I guess you're not bidding for it then Fred ? LOL"

Thats a safe bet!  ;-)  .. LOL

I have grave doubts about the £800 - But when it comes to that sort of thing, my opinion is probably less than worthless.

Fred.

Just going on a std EW being about 375ukp's worth and a nice suitable cabinet? See here:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victorian-Burr-Walnut-Davenport-Desk-Writing-Table-/380588163863?pt=UK_Antiques_AntiqueFurniture_SM&hash=item589cd28317

Posted: 3/3/2013 10:29:45 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Just going on a std EW being about 375ukp's worth and a nice suitable cabinet? See here:-" - Chris

Hmmm... I wonder how much of that price is down to its vintage (Victorian) ? .. But yes, I see what you are saying - You might be right!

Not a big market though, I would think.. Any purchaser would need space for such an object (as in, young people and flat / apartment dwellers or those in cramped homes would be mostly excluded) They would have no / little requirement for mobility, and they would need to be attracted to large objects of furniture - And they would need to be interwested in owning a theremin! ;-)

Not a venture for a Ferengi, me thinks! ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 3/3/2013 11:56:05 AM
coalport

Most first-time buyers of theremins make their purchase based on the sound of the instrument. This makes about as much sense as buying a car because you like the color. Unfortunately, noobs are usually riding a wave of enthusiasm, and are unaware of the many important factors that should be taken into consideration (response, linearity, configuration, etc.) when deciding what to buy.

Another thing they often don't know much about is how a theremin's sound can be radically altered by the recording setup. A theremin is not like an acoustic instrument where what you hear is what you get. Its sound can be manipulated in a thousand different ways. When someone says, "I really don't like the sound of the Etherwave theremin." I always want to ask, "Which sound are you talking about?"

An Etherwave has waveform and brightness tone controls on it that allow the player to modify the sound to his or her own taste in hundreds of variable combinations. What amplifier and speaker are you using? Is there a preamp involved? If you have a decent setup and a selection of peripherals, your possibilities are endless.

Another thing that has frequently surprised me over the years, is how many theremin makers put up websites and proceed to post unbelievably bad sound samples of their instruments. It doesn't matter how lovely your theremin is, if it is poorly recorded and played by someone without the skill to bring out whatever the instrument may have in it, you're wasting your time. 

"These samples have been kindly provided by my lovely wife, Darlene. She doesn't play the theremin but we did these sweeps using the recorder on our telephone answering machine so you could hear what the instrument sounds like. Sorry about the dog barking in the background. Someone came to the door right in the middle of a take."

Yes, I have actually seen explanations of this sort posted on the www. There oughta be a law against theremin makers, and/or their nearest & dearest, playing their own instruments!

I have recently seen a number of noobs purchase instruments that they have been advised to avoid by more experienced players. A few months later, after delays and excuses and no support from the manufacturer, they end up putting the things on ebay, or retiring them to the back of the garage, and buying the theremin they were told to get in the first place.

Posted: 3/3/2013 2:03:45 PM
Amethyste

I was told to buy a Moog EW Standard at the beginning. 2 years later, I still dont have one, but have 3 wonderful theremins and even more enthousiasm about the theremin thanwhen I started :)

Posted: 3/3/2013 2:39:49 PM
FredM

"There oughta be a law against theremin makers, and/or their nearest & dearest, playing their own instruments!" - Coalport

LOL ;-) .. There is one exception here that I can think of - Lydia!

But I do understand what you are saying.. ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:18:58 PM
ChrisC

Well as a nice piece of furniture the Wavefront looks great! :  )

I agree with lots of the above statements and yet Amey you're a bit different. I bet they said "Oh get an EW std and learn to play it conventionally with the right hand for the pitch"

Well you haven't got one and play 'left' handed. It suits you very well so everyone has to find what suits them. I think you're very right Peter with this though:-

I have recently seen a number of noobs purchase instruments that they have been advised to avoid by more experienced players. A few months later, after delays and excuses and no support from the manufacturer, they end up putting the things on ebay, or retiring them to the back of the garage, and buying the theremin they were told to get in the first place.

BUT, I would add that a lot probably put the unit back on eBay AND THEN GIVE UP with their thoughts of playing the instrument altogether.

Posted: 3/8/2013 10:44:53 PM
ChrisC

Well didn't sell for much IMHO.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wavefront-Classic-Theremin-in-Beautiful-Walnut-Case-/111021154189?nma=true&si=MlrSzR2i3%252BnbhZZDCW%252Ft%252B4AHzVo%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Cheers, Chris C

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.