Microphone stand help?

Posted: 3/3/2013 11:40:53 PM
Snowy5119

Hi everyone,

I've bought a B3 Theremin and I was wondering which mic stand to get for it?

Would a round stand, such as this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Mic-Stand-Round-Base/dp/B002GODQW2/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362352345&sr=8-3-fkmr0

be better? Or a tripod stand like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiger-Boom-Microphone-Stand-Clip/dp/B005I57GMM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1362352380&sr=8-4

Also, does it matter if it's metal??

And finally ... do I need to get an adapter for the microphone stand and if so which adapter do I get? Any help or advice would be much appreciated! :)

Posted: 3/4/2013 12:18:33 AM
Amethyste

My personal opinion on stands is different than most. I don't like tripods, I have to be extremely careful cause I tend to trip over them and that is not good either for me or the theremin. I have my Subscope on a heavy round base stand. Works very well!

Posted: 3/4/2013 1:08:10 AM
RoyP

My personal opinion on stands is different than most. I don't like tripods, I have to be extremely careful cause I tend to trip over them and that is not good either for me or the theremin. I have my Subscope on a heavy round base stand. Works very well! - Amethyste

Me too. I use a modified upright light from a well known blue and yellow homeware retailer from Sweden.
I got the tipp here from FredM and it does the job nicely!

Posted: 3/4/2013 4:55:51 AM
Jason

For me, if you're traveling with the stand, having a tripod is handy because it folds up easily. If you're just planning to play it at home or in a studio, a heavy round base stand might actually give you a little more stability.  Some of them even have cutouts for a single effects pedal.

The B3 uses a typical mic mount, so you shouldn't need an adapter.

Posted: 3/4/2013 4:48:49 PM
Snowy5119

Thanks guys :) So it doesn't matter if it's metal?

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:14:28 PM
Amethyste

Mine are metal and seems ok :)

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:57:27 PM
GordonC

If I recall correctly, the B3 just drops onto the mic stand rather than screwing on. You may need to take care to get a mike stand where you can remove all the gubbins from the top. One of my mike stands does not dismantle completely and my friend with a B3 Pro could not use it.

i suggest you take your B3 to a local music store and try before you buy.

Posted: 3/4/2013 10:02:18 PM
Snowy5119

Hey guys, sorry to be a pain but I've plugged it in using the step down converter (US->UK power) and plugged headphones into the back and fiddled with the knobs a bit and waved my hands around a bit and ... silence :( Help?? Do I need something with the headphones, like a mixer or something?? Or do I need an Amp instead? x

Posted: 3/5/2013 8:09:48 AM
AlKhwarizmi

Yes, you do need an amp. It's normal that you don't get any sound with the headphones, since the theremin's output is not designed for it.

If you don't have an amp and you want to make sure the theremin works before investing on one (as I would!), a desktop PC can work as an amp. Just connect the theremin's output to the PC's "line-in" output and you'll get the sound through the PC speakers... you probably won't get great sound quality but at least you'll be able to see that it works.

On laptops it depends... old laptops tend to have line-in too (or an audio input that doubles as mic input and line-in), but most new laptops don't. Yes, that's right, laptops are getting crappier and crappier! They are much cheaper than 7-8 years ago, but when one wants some functionality different from what the majority needs, one yearns for the old times...

Posted: 3/9/2013 12:27:13 PM
Snowy5119

We got it working!! Thank you so much guys :) xx

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.