Theremin Goggles

Posted: 3/29/2013 10:27:42 PM
Jason

You undoubtedly saw this on Engadget this week:

http://blog.makezine.com/craft/diy-theremin-goggles/

Would you revolt if I listed stories like this on the home page?

Posted: 3/29/2013 10:54:37 PM
RoyP

ehhh...probably

Only because I'm not really sure what to think of them: they seem to be pretty useless as an instument as say the RCA would be and yet they even seem to be only a sliver of the kind of thing that experimental music would want.

Ok, they seem to make random noise at random times...

Posted: 3/29/2013 11:53:48 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Would you revolt if I listed stories like this on the home page?" - Jason

LOL ;-) I think I am one of the few people here who is truly revolting!  ;-)

Jason, this is your site - Yeah, I know you try to cater for what people want, but when it comes to theremins (which these days seems to cover everything from capacitively operated taps to stupid light operated goggles or conductivity operated "musical" toothpicks) there will be people who would like to see things like this on the home page, and others who will be revolted even if they dont revolt!

You wont keep everyone happy.. You need to weigh up how many people adding junk like this will make happy, and how many will feel it devalues the credibility of TW, and of what importance (if any) this is.

You know my feelings on the matter - But if I was running TW it would probably be about as active as my Element 14 forum - lets see, less than 20  [edited] 10 postings by anyone other than me in 5 years ? ;-)

So all I can say in closing is.. Good luck, I wont be any more or less revolting regardless of what you choose to do -  but IMO you should set some line below which stuff doesnt get to TWs home page - and IMO, the goggles should be WAY below this line!  ;-)

To be honest, I dont think the goggles are even worthy of mention in the forum (except perhaps if there was a "trivialities and/or humour" forum ;-) .. But its your show - Do whatever makes you happy! .. Someone else is sure to feel the same way you do! (and really, it doesnt matter if you are alone in this universe in wanting the goggles on the front page) -  everyone who regularly visits this site is obviously an addict, so you probably couldnt lose them no matter what you did! - probably couldnt even lose us if you banned talking about theremins.. ;-)

Fred

[interesting - first two "thumbs down" come from the UK ;-) .. Be real interesting if there was a geographical bias - but I suspect that Gordon might throw a spanner in this already statistically meaningless "trend", LOL]

Posted: 3/30/2013 8:59:14 AM
GordonC

Not really. <shrug> Post it if you want, but they don't impress me at all.

Posted: 3/30/2013 10:54:32 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

UK: Two thumbs down, one abstention.. or a half -hearted thumbs down..

Actually, I dont thing anyone really cares what goes on the front page too much, just so long what is relevant / important gets there!

But I would have thought something like the PWO theremin on Kickstarter would warrant front page exposure far more than those goggles!

Fred.

Posted: 3/30/2013 3:57:40 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

From: Just a short walk away from Nike Missile Site S-13/14

There should be room for a dumb laugh occasionally.  

The site gets pretty boring pretty fast when it is restricted to true heterodyning units as the only thing allowed to be called a Theremin  and Rockmore to be the only person to have ever played one correctly.  The more narrow-focused and purist the site is, the less conversation and exchange of ideas will occur.

Posted: 3/30/2013 9:48:18 PM
FredM

" The more narrow-focused and purist the site is, the less conversation and exchange of ideas will occur." - Chainsaw

I completely agree!

But as I see it, the issue here is about the home "headline" page.. My personal feeling is that this should be reserved for more worthy purposes than promoting stupid ideas!

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.