THEREMIN REACHES OUT AND KILLS NOTEBOOK TOUCH PAD

Posted: 5/11/2013 5:18:42 PM
Touchless

Hello Thomas,

I was always fascinated with the design of your theremin enclosure having the lines of a coffin? It seemed to reflect the decline in the health of this old instrument. You may have pounded in the final nail for the production of theremins here in the USA. This RF interference issue which was contained in our tight community will no doubt bring the attention of the FCC, who may have been unaware, to clamp down on these left over older technologies that emit spurious emissions. It is a matter of time when manufactures realize something currently being commercially produced is radio frequency jamming their product front ends and affecting their profits. For the theremin community it will become warfare, if we are expected to survive it will drive us further underground.

I wrote the above light heartily but this country is built upon “In the Dollar We Trust”. Thomas I do enjoy your teaching and musical contribution in the theremin community.

T

Edit: Looks like the final nail came sooner than expected. )-'

Posted: 5/11/2013 6:18:59 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello Touchless. LOL :) I doubt seriousely that the end is near in any way for the theremin. Rather, what's been observed, and reported will simply cause manufacturers of both theremins, and computing devices to better harden their devices from interfering with, or being enterfered with by each other.

Certainly, it's just a matter of time before the FCC casts an eye toward theremins, but then, given how rare such incidents as this are, I would think that it's not a severe enough issue for the FCC to get too heavily involved with, especially when one considers the rather short distances between the devices in question here. :)

Glad to hear you enjoy my work with the theremin.

Posted: 5/12/2013 1:50:58 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

"Certainly, it's just a matter of time before the FCC casts an eye toward theremins" - Thomas

About CE / FCC EMC Compliance:

Here in the UK (and Europe) one needs to go through compliance in order to sell ANY electronic product.. This compliance covers aspects such as safety and RF issues such as susceptability to EM and the instruments output (radiated emissions) and (if connected to mains) any rubbish one sends up the power line - Then there are additional things like Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS).

Even for an event like the 2010 "Hands Off / Ether" Festival in London South Bank Centre, I was required to obtain independent certification of the theremins - Because they were mains powered, they required verification that the EC Low Voltage Directive was being complied with - and I had to have one checked for EMC and certify that the others would be built identically. (change the length of one wire and technically you are in breach)- Each theremin was tested for safety (at my expense) by a certified tester, and then each was again tested by an inspector hired by the client...

EMC which could affect things like security systems or personal appliances like 'phones are seen as an insurance risk. - Fortunately I didnt need to comply with immunity directives (as in, it wasnt critical if someones mobile phone screwed up the thyeremin) - Not because this would have been a problem, but because this is the most expensive test, by far.

I nearly bombed-out of HO-2010 because I was advised (after I had ordered the PCB's and components) that I must insure the instruments against public liability (or rather, insure the public againstb the instruments), for the duration of the show - £2M insurance was required - and insurance was not available without certification.. After a lot of argument the client payed the cost of the insurance (I told them I would bill them for my expenses and back out if they didnt) - but I was left bearing the certification costs... One reason I made a big loss on the project.

But - Provided the theremins frequency is low (probably below 1MHz, mine were below 500kHz) and the waveform on the antenna is reasonably pure, getting through the compliance testing for EC requirements was no big deal - My theremins were radiating about 30% of permitted levels for this catagory of appliance.. I understand that FCC regulations are more-or-less unified with CE regulations.

If one doesnt need outside certification for insurance purposes, one can self-certify equipment within certain classes* (at least for CE .. This is what I usually do - not sure if one can self-certify for FCC) - You need to produce a technical reference file detailing the design, calculations, measurements and factors which you believe justify the certification - and this must be available for inspection... But unless a serious complaint is raised against your product, nobody investigates... Sadly, this is the reason that so many awful non-compliant noisy products get onto the market with a CE mark.. Made (mostly) in China, If detected, the only action taken is prevention of sale and perhaps a fine on the importer.

Fred.

*Anything safety-critical requires external or approved certification, and some products like vehicle or aircraft parts, fuel systems and the like require full compliance testing by a certified test lab. 

Posted: 5/12/2013 2:34:54 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi FredM. I remember having to go through PAT testing when bringing my theremin to HO2011.

Not a big deal, really. They just checked it was safe to connect to mains, and wasn't producing any harmful signals that could muck about with other systems, ect. Didn't take long at all. Once the theremin passed, they slapped a PAT tested label on the mains adaptor.

Posted: 5/12/2013 2:55:38 AM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Hi Thomas,

PAT is a really basic simple set of tests. What really annoyed me about the South Bank is that I was the only paricipant / supplier who was required to insure the equipment or undergo any compliance other than PAT..

And some of the stuff there was many times more potentially dangerous than my theremins could ever be - A massive petrol powered "musical" penguin with exposed motor / gears / belts, and numerous other mechanical appliances.

Yeah - HO2010 will live in my memory - A mix of some of the best moments of my life combined with some of the worst.. I was left with effectively only 2 weeks to build the theremins, and from this days were consumed chasing lawyers and insurers and test houses.. I really took it seriously, LOL ;-) ... At the moment I am reconditioning some of my H1 prototype boards and building some of the spare boards, and I keep wondering what the hell I was thinking - I could have produced something half as complex at 1/2 the cost and no-one would have noticed the difference! .... But instead I pushed it to max, lost loads of money, probably escalated my marriage breakdown, and gave myself a heart attack!

I live - But I dont seem to learn!  LOL  ;-)

Fred.

Posted: 5/12/2013 3:23:56 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi FredM. Such is the life of the intrepid inventor.

I remember all the heartache, and frustration that came with slaving away in my laboratory and dark room making holograms for a living. Had to carry a multi-million dollar sight-loss insurance policy to cover students, and sobservers at holo seminars I did back in the early 90s. It took nearly a decade to pefect the craft of holographic imagin, and just when I was about to launch worldwide, the company that made our films quit production, and left every professional holographer, and many schools, and university physics departments high, and dry without film. Maybe just as well since many of the chemicals I worked with were carcinogenic, and CNSDs.

Posted: 5/15/2013 6:59:02 PM
FredM

Hi Thomas,

My phone + internet have been down for days.. sorry I never got back sooner.

Your expierience is real rough.. completely at the mercy of one supplier is always a dangerous situation, but one which often occurs.. You think "they cannot stop producing - it would make no sense.." but they do, and you are left screwed.

The "intrepid inventor" is probably one of the most abused and exploited class of people on earth, IMO.. Without them (us) many things we take for granted just wouldnt be here.. But try getting finance or grants, or even to be taken seriously, and you can forget it.. And if against the odds you do get your invention to market, some big company and their suits will steal it.

Advice I was given - "If you are an inventor, dont tell anyone! Make up some cover story - but NEVER mention what you are really doing to anyone wearing a suit! "

Its true! But IMO its disgraceful.

Fred.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.