Playing Technique / rehash needed...

Posted: 7/31/2013 5:30:54 PM
Amethyste

I have been playing the Theremin for a little over 2 years now and though I play ok, I never felt like the method/technique

that I am using is really “the one” for me. I never felt all that enthralled with it and lately, my hand suffered a little bout of carpal tunnel. Though I may very well be caused by the incessant typing that I do at work, I started to think that maybe my technique needed a rehash ~ kind of left it in the back of my mind and went on my merry daily life and left the idea hanging.

2 days ago, I was Skyping with Thomas about it, and suggested that I locate the video that came with my Used Etherwave Pro and watch it. I located it and saw there was an interview and a demonstration from Pamelia Kurstin ~ Hmmmmmmmmmmm... Interesting I thought! So I popped the video into my Laptop and watched it. What a delight J It was so fun to hear Bob talk about the theremin (I’ve seen other interviews but not this one) and then started to watch Pamelia more attentively (in between her infectious giggles) and paid even closer attention to Pamelia’s method and ... CLICK! Serioosly? I’ve been playing with my pitch hand too high all this time! I lowered my hand in the same sort of angle as she is adopting and wow, what a difference! My intonation has gotten a bit better and the ease of movement in so much more fluid! The only thing I am NOT getting is how she produce her vibrato...

Would you guys have a suggestion in how to achieve that? I have not found a mental metaphor quite yet...

What do you all think of her technique overall? Something I need to watch?

Thank you all for reading J

Posted: 7/31/2013 10:33:45 PM
Chobbs

Ive been wanting to rewatch my copy of 'mastering the theremin'  but alas, it is on VHS.   Any one wanna trade a DVD version for my 'vintage'  'collectable'  and 'Out of print' tape?

Amy- No playing advice,  but Im glad you found something helpful!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.